PDA

View Full Version : RC5-72 as a service, in W2K

n7vxj
03-12-2005, 07:03 PM
O.K. Guys, I just installed it on my duallie.How do I set it up as a service in W2K? Explain it so a n00b can understand how to do it!!Let's see if we can move Team Free-DC up in those stats a little bit!!!!!

em99010pepe
03-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by n7vxj
O.K. Guys, I just installed it on my duallie.How do I set it up as a service in W2K? Explain it so a n00b can understand how to do it!!Let's see if we can move Team Free-DC up in those stats a little bit!!!!!

From Dnet site:

Windows - Service

A Win9x/WinNT service is a process that starts running when the computer is powered up, and does not stop until the computer is powered down. Unlike normal processes, services will continue to run even when a user logs out.

Obviously, a service does not have access to remote file and disk resources that require a user to log in first. (this restriction can be nullified on NT - see FAQ in the client Readme file).

To install the client as a service, run the client with the -install switch. This will cause it to register itself with the service handler, which will in turn automatically start the client the next time the computer is powered up. To desinstall a client previously installed as a service, start it with the -uninstall switch.

That means you should create a shortcut to dnet.exe and add the flag -install.
I tested under Win Me and Win XP. It works! Don't forget to restart the computer.
To send the wu's automatically just add the bold line to your dnet.ini file:

[parameters]
id=your@email.com

[misc]
project-priority=RC5-72,OGR-P2=0

[display]
progress-indicator=auto-sense
detached=no

[triggers]
restart-on-config-file-change=yes
pause-on-no-mains-power=no
pause-flag-filename=pause
pause-watch-plist=

[rc5-72]
fetch-workunit-threshold=1000

[buffers]
frequent-threshold-checks=2

Carlos

n7vxj
03-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Where do I create this shortcut with the -install switch, and where does it go?I just told it to dump 4 completed units so I will show up in the stats.That way I can hurry-up, get my password, and join team free-dc.

em99010pepe
03-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Where do I create this shortcut with the -install switch, and where does it go?

Create it in the same folder. You just have to run it once.

1º - In the folder you have the client just create the shortcut to dnet.exe

2º - Check the shotcut properties. Now go to the shortcut tab. Add the -install switch where it says destiny ( I don't know how it calls in english, my OS is in my native language).

Look at the picture:

http://img1.imageuploader.net/747/dnet.JPG

3º - Run the shortcut. You will see a window saying that the client was installed as a service.

4º - Restart the machine and then go to tasmanager to check if the client is running (dnet service).

Carlos

the-mk
03-13-2005, 03:01 AM
Where do I create this shortcut with the -install switch, and where does it go?I just told it to dump 4 completed units so I will show up in the stats.That way I can hurry-up, get my password, and join team free-dc.

To install the dnetc-client as a service, there is also a easier way to do that:
- get a command prompt (go to start -> run, enter cmd)
- enter cd path\to\dnetc\client
- enter dnetc -install

But first you need to configure your client (i.e. setting free-dc.org als keyserver, how many workunits it should fetch, setting your distributed.net-id which should be be your e-mail address, ...) else your client doesn't do what you want.

To start dnetc-client as a service it isn't necessary to restart the whole computer. Just (re)start the service. Controll-Panel->Administrative->Services->distributed.net client->MB3->Restart. Or if you use w2k or wxp just do that in a command prompt: "net start dnetc" and distributed.net client should run!

That's the way I always configure my client as a service after reinstalling windows or linux...

:cheers:

n7vxj
03-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, just uploaded 200 more units.Hopefully, I will show up in the next stats update, and can join the Team this evening!! :cheers: