PDA

View Full Version : problem

Nofinger
05-23-2002, 05:43 PM
I noticed that I lost 7 days of no-netting because of a crash(power failure in the village) and found that the client doesnt write info to the filelist.txt file until it is closed properly.
but because I don't check the comp daily it isn't closed properly until I collect the units.

isn't there a way to let the client save its data (to the filelist.txt file/to Harddisk) after every 5000 units so in case of a crash you only lose a max of 4999 units.

BTW I still use windhoze 98

Richard Clyne
05-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but try this website ( http://tsf.dbestern.net/faq.php ) for finding out how to recover filesets in the event of a client incorrectly exiting.

MAD-ness
05-23-2002, 08:22 PM
The client writes generated structures to .bz2 files. There are two types, the .log and .val .bz2 files. I don't know for sure which does what, but these are the 'results' which are uploaded. The filelist.txt doesn't contain actual results, but merely a LIST of the results in a format that allows said results to be uploaded.

If you have structures which have been generated but which are not in your filelist.txt, you CAN upload those structures by making a new filelist.txt

Directions for this can be found here:

http://tsf.dbestern.net/faq.php

Ars Technica Team Stir Fry FAQ

and here:

http://www.katrinashome.com/howtounsent.htm

EDIT: +1 to Richard for being a faster typist.

The Knights Who Say Ni! FAQ

I hope this helps.

Nofinger
05-23-2002, 08:47 PM
Thanks guy's :cool: but that I knew already but I wanted to know is "why the client isn't" or "how to make" the client update/save its data out of its own so if something goes wrong I dont have to manualy make a filelist.txt file.

its a lot of work to figure out wich files belongs to each other and if it can be done automaticly by the client it would be a lot easier + think about the people who only have a comp because they can play nice songs and print nice pic's it would make there lifes easier also ;) :D

Nofinger
05-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Sorry :( It seems the client is doing what it has to do, and what I wanted :rolleyes:

I only don't understand why it didn't do that when I tested it:confused:

And I still have no Idea why my filelist file was gone (2 clients on 1 comp different dir's both filelist files)

maybe a rare fluke or just because it's my comp :D or is it another group trying to sabotage our production :eek: ;)

Nofinger
05-23-2002, 10:40 PM
I found maybe another thing and I am testing this now, if this is something I'll come back on it.

MAD-ness
05-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Keep us posted.

HansArne
05-24-2002, 01:08 PM
I got the same problem.
When I open the error.log it says:
ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite.c, line 716} Too many files to send, some have been lost
(I'm using win xp with -df -i f)
Edit: I had forgot to ad -df when i uploaded

Nofinger
05-24-2002, 06:19 PM
I did some more testing and saw that, when you start the client for the first time or had done a upload, there wouldn’t be a filelist.txt file in the folding directory until you close the client in the normal way (without uploading) (just what I saw in my first post :) ).

In this file the client writes down wich units you’ve have finished (.val.bz2 and .log.bz2 filenames), if you had done a normal shutdown of the client (without uploading the results) the file filelist.txt would appear in the directory and if you restart the client it updates this file after every finished complete result (5000 units)(what I say in my Sorry post :) ).

But because I started the client, left it running on it own and It closed because of a crash (not a normal shutdown) it didn’t wrote the filelist.txt file or updated it because you cant update what isn't there and so I lost the data needed for upload (and with that my work from 7 days.)

I know (and have done it) that you can manualy make a filelist.txt file but the files I had didn’t make sense to me and I did the brave (and maybe stupid thing) of deleting them (I also was a little bit :mad: ;) )

Now my question to the management :)

Is it possible to let the client make a filelist file after the first completed work (5000 units) and not, like it is now, only after shutdown and so by doing this make it backup its finished work direct after finishing?
By doing this there would be less loss after a crash, max “only” 4999 units.

A solution could be to start the client, close it, and start it again but that has to be done after every new start or upload (For me that wouldn’t be a big problem, I only have 2 comp's but what about people with farms :rolleyes: )

Ps this only would be a problem for no-netters

(I hope you’ll understand this story cq problem, english isn’t my native language)