PDA

View Full Version : SQL in PHP

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Okay I wanna learn how to do database stuff
I've no idea where to start but I've got an apache webserver running
Apache 1.3.33 with Php 4.1.10 I got the full sized zip rather than the stuff .msi file so I got all the extension and stuff that come with it.
Oh this is running on a win 98se box apache 1.3.33 with all the extensions in win32 mode - I know I don't know enough about linux yet to make the leap on the box I've got it running on plus I got a really neat remote admin tool that lets me see the exactly what's on that pc's screen and actually start / stop / restart the server in console mode and edit the conf file too... also stop & start D2oL which is also on that box..

So:
1 Where do I start? i.e. websites for beginners / books
2 What else do I need to get software wise / Upgrade existing?
3 Do I need to adjust my apache httpd.conf file?
4 Do I need to have anything else running in order for it to work?

Help! I should be able to do it but the last time I look at databases was when like MS Works was though to be really good, Access kinda scares me a little as it looks so complex. I do know a little bit of VBA as i've used it for some stuff I've done in Excel, not actually got office 2000 installed on that machine either - it's a bog standard Win98se box...

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-25-2005, 02:33 PM
What No-one wants to venture any help????
Great oh well I thought maybe just maybe someone might have, just incase some of you hadn't noticed - I've been gone 6 days - last log in was last friday night, ask the any admin when I've been on, was on breifly yesterday but couldn't post as batteries on cordless mouse had died and it was getting kinda late..
I lost my phone / ADSL line :( took BT that long to fix it well I found it working they didn't, they still think there is a fault...

Bok
03-25-2005, 03:09 PM
gopher,

I might be able to help, but I've never installed it on windows before. If you can get mysql installed alongside php/apache, I can help you do the coding for the DB access, it's very easy.

Bok

the-mk
03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
For the install issue you could probably take a look at this:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

It's a preconfigured package with Apache 2.0.x with PHP4.3.x or PHP5 and MySQL 4.1.x with phpMyAdmin! You just need to download it and unzip it into a directory and start it! This site has nice instructions how to install that package, maybe you could give it a try!

That should cover your questions two, three and four. About how to learn these languages and where to start the other folks around here may know better things than I do.

I hope that was helpful :cheers:

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Okay Bok, I'll go find MySQL and erm install it, but then I may just hit a brick wall getting the apache / php to talk to the mysql program... Time to go find it I suppose and install it.. :)

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Hmm The-mk, that erm looks complex I'm not running Apache 2.x as I can't bloody figure out the conf file for it to make it act like how I have mine now, as they've changed it all around so I'm running 1.3.33 now and erm the new method of doing things in 2.x has me quite erm frankly lost lol so maybe a hand at that or does this Xammp type thing do all that for you?

Hmm Bok, I've got mysql running now, just using the basic settings so i've no idea how to access from anything other than "localhost" atm which is a pain as they KVM switch I have to that PC isn't a very good one, it don't want to switch off when your switching between PC's and the k/b response on it is erm shall we sssay a bbit inntermittant to say the least got to t...y..p.....e real careful like... :|:bang:

the-mk
03-28-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by gopher_yarrowzoo
Hmm The-mk, that erm looks complex I'm not running Apache 2.x as I can't bloody figure out the conf file for it to make it act like how I have mine now, as they've changed it all around so I'm running 1.3.33 now and erm the new method of doing things in 2.x has me quite erm frankly lost lol so maybe a hand at that or does this Xammp type thing do all that for you?

Usually Xampp installs it self into C:\apachefriends\xampp\.
So httpd.conf is located in C:\apachefriends\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf

It is pretty well preconfigured package of some nice tools (apache webserver, php, mysql, phpmyadmin, perl, and many more) for people who don't want to mess around with installation issues. Just put your site into C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\ and have fun :D

I don't know the differences between configuration files of 1.3.x and 2.x, but let me know what you want and we can figure it out.

I use it at home and at work for testing my sites before they go really online and I can't complain anything about it.

If you need help with xampp let me know! :cheers:

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-28-2005, 02:48 PM
well it's half the stuff in 1.3.x isn't in the 2.x httpd and that's what gets me - okay I'll get Xampp and try it, installing in it's non default dir since erm I'm like that lol