PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking my mobo...

CaptainMooseInc
03-19-2005, 02:08 AM
I have an ASUS A78NX mobo (nForce2 chipset) that is running at 166MHz FSB. I believe this is capable of getting to 266MHZ FSB...

I do not know which jumper to move though to get it to run at this speed. I have had trouble with AOpen boards when jumped to 266MHZ FSB.

Anyone able to help w/ a graphic or what jumper to use?

-Jeff

IronBits
03-19-2005, 04:32 AM
Quick google search lead me to Asus
http://usa.asus.com/prog/p_search.asp?kp=a7n8x&langs=09
Pick your specific model ;)

Thor
03-19-2005, 04:44 AM
I don't think it will run at 266Mhz FSB...

Normally FSB 200 is the maximum "factory level" for an nForce2 chipset... I have heard of some who tweaked them up to 220-240 Mhz but not faster...

Don't mix the FSB speed with the speed rating for ram. When yous say DDR 266, thats ram running at FSB 133 , DDR 333 is running at 166Mhz FSB and so on...

Greets Thor

CaptainMooseInc
03-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Well...whatever MHz I can boost the FSB up to by changing a jumper I'll be happy...

-Jeff

P.S. Yes...I know it won't boost the speed of the chip, but if the FSB is higher the chip will run a bit cooler.

Bok
03-19-2005, 09:57 AM
On the A7N8X you change the FSB in the BIOS.

I had a few of them at 210 or so, with good cooling and good memory.

Bok

Thor
03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
@ CaptainMooseInc

Sorry to say that, but you are screwing things up big time...

Explanation:

The FSB can be set independently for both RAM and CPU.

If you turn up your RAM from 166Mhz to 200 Mhr (equal DDR 333 and DDR400) The RAM part of your system will be faster, IF your RAm can handle it. Otherwise, the system won't boot or you get memory errors.

Possible solutions: add alittle Voltage to the RAm, (from 2.6V to 2.7 or 2.8V) or loosen the timings...

If you turn up your CPU to FSB 200, your chances are pretty big, that it won't boot... Chances are better if you have a Barton type Athlon XP and slim if you have a Sempron.

If it won't boot you can, you can try to increase the core Voltage of your cpu a little (also called Vcore) use tiny steps (we are talking 0.05V!) don't go higher than 1.80V.

Here comes another thing, if you increase the FSB, your CPU will run faster! and also produce more heat, especially if you increase the Vcore!!!

The only way to increase the FSB and lower the temperature is to decrease Vcore (probably won't run stable, 0.1V gave me around 5°C less on my XP2400) AND/OR to decrease the multiplier. The CPU speed is determind by the FSB times the multiplier. But on most, you can't change the multiplier, because it was locked by AMD... most older BArtons and all the mobile versions are known to be unlocked...

Take a tool like cpu info or similar and post all your specs (also of your RAM) and I will gladly try to help you...

Greets Thor

MerePeer
03-19-2005, 11:44 AM
@ Thor

fyi Without touching voltage, my Sempron 2400 boots at 200 FSB but isn't stable until I reduce to 189 FSB (= 1.89Ghz). {Might be the onboard graphics :scratch:}

Thor
03-19-2005, 12:06 PM
@ Mere Peer

I did't say it wouldn't ;)

I just know from reading various forums that usualy the bartons are a little bette at that (and also faster compared to a sempron). If your temeratures are ok, try and give it a little more voltage... it should be stable then...

@CapatianMooseInc

What I forget:

All those settings are to be changed in the BIOS, you won't find jumpers for that ( it is the 21st century or was it the 22nd? :cheers: )

Thor

LAURENU2
03-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
I have an ASUS A78NX mobo (nForce2 chipset) that is running at 166MHz FSB. I believe this is capable of getting to 266MHZ FSB...

I do not know which jumper to move though to get it to run at this speed. I have had trouble with AOpen boards when jumped to 266MHZ FSB.

Anyone able to help w/ a graphic or what jumper to use?

-Jeff
Try this
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-d/jumper.gif

From here

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-d/jumper.htm

n7vxj
03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Dude, go find yourself a good XP1700!! Put it in that that Asus, and crank your fsb to 210, and your multiplier to 11, and get 2.3 gig out of it, like mine is running.Just my 2 cents worth!!!

Dan