PDA

View Full Version : ways to make faster??

black_civic55
03-23-2005, 09:28 AM
has anybody found ways to make this faster??

Carlos experimented with different java and tinkering with the properties file.

Anyone mess with that file some more and found even a faster way? I don't see why it cant be made faster. All its doing is pinging.

em99010pepe
03-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by black_civic55
has anybody found ways to make this faster??

Carlos experimented with different java and tinkering with the properties file.

I just installed IBM java and seemed to be faster.

Carlos

meep
03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Looking at it, it all seems to be down to the length of time it is taking to complete each trace route. Some are probably hitting 30+ hops, the timeout period is also set quite long in the xml file - lowering that may make it move on to the next step sooner.

Being able to run more than one at tracert at once will be the key to faster measurements, but this will have an impact on bandwidth used - if it is at all possible.

CaptainMooseInc
03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
DO NOT CHANGE THE TIMEOUT PERIOD...

The whole purpose of this project is to "map the internet" basically. Making the constants become variables just f###s the whole concept up...

Faster means more measurements maybe, but less accuracy...

IBM Java runs 30% faster than any other Java Platform out there...but that's just JAVA, not how fast your TRACERTS run.

-Jeff

meep
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
I was not going to modify any part of the app, just an observation. I expected a change to any variables to have a knock on effect to an individuals results, or more likely cause some valid measurements to be aborted due to the timeout being too harsh.

The simple way to speed things up is get more agents in more varied locations, I have just added a new one running from a server in Holland and hope to get another running in the next few days in the south east.

pfb
03-23-2005, 05:58 PM
I would've said run multiple clients with the same properties.xml to get 'faster' stats wise, but now they've changed the stats to have 1 ID, multiple nodes it's not useful...

As CaptainMooseInc said, most of the time is doing TRACERT - so changing Java clients has minimal effect (ime)...not really much you can make an individual node go faster...

CaptainMooseInc
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Faster Java is always awesome.....if I can see my ping before you see your pong then I'm sweet.

-Jeff

meep
03-24-2005, 04:10 AM
Regarding running multiple nodes - I emailed the chap in charge of the stats side, Ohad, and asked about this - what he has done for me in the mean time, is bundle differently named agents under my main ID.

He has indicated that this feature will be added to the stats function shortly. So naming agents by their location all working under / for one main agent will be possible.