PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat Clones? Anyone to comment?

CaptainMooseInc
03-25-2005, 01:47 AM
http://news.com.com/Programmers+bypass+Red+Hat+Linux+fees/2100-7344_3-5632434.html?tag=nefd.top

Read up on that article. It talks about clones of RHEL. I am wondering if anyone here uses RHEL and if they've tried a clone of it?

Me likes what I read...

-Jeff

Leviathann
03-25-2005, 02:25 AM
From my past experiences with RH and from everything I've ever heard about it, I've learned to stay away from anything that mention RedHat.

My personal favorite distro, not that I like linux, is MEPIS.

rsbriggs
03-25-2005, 03:26 AM
And if you want to see what the NEXT release of RHEL is going to be like, you can use Fedora. I'm running Core4 on a couple of machines... As easy as Gentoo to update - instead of "emerge update world", you type "yum update". MUCH faster updates, since the packages are binary.

But if you're doing DC work, I would guess nearly any release would do, since you probably want to run init level 3 - and it's pretty hard to distinguish differences between any of the various flavors when all you generally have on the screen is:

login: bob
Password: xxxxxxx
$ _

:D

PCZ
03-25-2005, 03:44 AM
rsbriggs

I think you hit the nail on the head.
Without the 'Fluff' they are all very similar.

Getting back to the original Question.

I suppose the RH Clones being refered to are RH AS.
Centos do a good RH AS clone.

Leviathann
03-25-2005, 05:01 AM
Only reason I mentioned mepis is because it was nicer to me than any other distro I tried, and I've tried a few to say the least. Mepis is Debian based and it's package management is excellent as well through a gui frontend called synaptic.

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-27-2005, 04:06 PM
</my 2 cents >
yeah erm I tried to help a mate set up RedHat on his pc once, god we gave up... I like debian Linux mind you i've only really used Knoppix a little but what I've used of it, it was very nice, need to set up my webserver as a Nix box, once erm I figure how to get it to get a IP from my software router which is on a windows box and erm how to start / stop / show that apache is running with / without php / mysql / anything... and how to monitor it remotly from windows like I do now using a remote admin tool that allow me to take full control of the PC and lets me see what I'm doing as well lol... </end my 2 cents >