PDA

View Full Version : Overvolting Woes

Leviathann
03-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Before I proceed let it be known that I ran an overvolted fan with 17v for almost a year before I fiddled with it and broke the blades and had to buy a new one of which this post is about.

Earlier this morning I tried to run 24v through my cpu fan and succeedingly at first but then I started smelling ozone, which if you've been around electronics for 5 minutes you know that smell isn't good.

I did this by hooking wires to the hot and ground sockets on the fan and then running the hot wire to a +12v molex pin and the ground to the -12v wire on the ATX connector. After being booted into windows for about 2 minutes I could smell it after which I promptly shut down and undid my mod.

To my knowledge no damage was done but what I would like to know is if anyone could tell me what the problem was and what was causing 'the bad smell.'

I guess if I want more CFM I just need to get a Tornado.

PCZ
03-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Guess your lucky the Fan still spins.

The Ozone was coming from arcing in the Fan motor.

Running at 24v you will have been putting four times as much juice through the contacts as they where designed to handle.

The bearings probably weren't happy either with the Fan spinning twice as fast as normal.

You can get away with connecting the ground to -5 and having a PD of 17v on most Fans, but 24v is taking the *iss

Leviathann
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeh this is what I figured. oh well, once I get the notion again I'll attempt 17v. This is what my previous year long fan was at.