PDA

View Full Version : protein ending early!!!!!!!!

FoBoT
05-25-2002, 01:11 AM
if you don't hit the "official" DF forum, brian the fist just posted this

The CASP5 (http://predictioncenter.llnl.gov) structure
prediction experiment is now underway, and will be proceeding throughout
the course of the summer. Thus, starting towards the end of next week
(Thursday approx.) we will prematurely terminate the present protein we
are working on to begin phase III, on the first CASP target. We will
resume phase Ib, with the next large protein of known structure, once
the CASP 'prediction season' has passed. From the users' point of view,
this simply means an auto-update will occur and RMSDs will no longer
be computed (since the structure of the new protein is not known).
Auto-update should now work for all OSes and versions to the best of our knowledge.

guess i'll move my boxen back to DF once the change happens

Dyyryath
05-25-2002, 03:10 AM
Glad to hear you're coming back! We were 3rd in the daily production race yesterday. :(

We need to get back on the ball!

Supp
05-25-2002, 09:26 AM
I'll deploy my "big hitter" on DF

(750mhz notebook :p )

[edit]
I just looked at CASP5 page and 1st target should bear catalog nr. HI0817 and is 182 res. long

Chinasaur
05-25-2002, 12:04 PM
So what's with DF? Nobody is uploading results.... did they switch the protein already? Or the servers down or what?

Anyone know?

Dyyryath
05-25-2002, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure, but it appears to be affecting everybody. Hopefully it'll get straightened out quickly...

FoBoT
05-25-2002, 12:21 PM
it has to be on their end
its affecting everybody

Moogie
05-25-2002, 12:31 PM
So what does this all mean to us? Is there another update to watch out for, or do you really believe that they will have it all fixed and it will be transparent to us?

Paratima
05-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Only REALLY devious people park in "Who's Online" and watch the action. :cool: Moogie.

MAD-ness
05-25-2002, 12:55 PM
I doubt the transition will be "flawless" and if they have to update the .exe (I imagine they will) I expect more problems than any of us are going to be all that happy about. I really wish they would have a beta type program where they release beta clients, even if the results aren't any good, I would run a new client for 24 hours on a box if it helped to ensure things were stable.

We will all have to make it quite clear that results MUST be dumped by the middle of next week. With this long run, many people may have large no-net caches. It would not only be a shame to see them wasted but it will upset quite a few people.

In trying to think about where to get people's attention who don't frequent the forums I can only think of stats.

Dyy, I know this is an imposition, but might it be possible to put up a message at the top of a stats page warning of this? Most people check the stats regularly, even if they don't check the forums.

I don't think this will hit TSF that hard, we don't have many huge farmers at the moment, but it WILL be a factor for people.