PDA

View Full Version : severe n00b wants to overclock a Sempron

jasong
03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Guys, I have a 2200+ 1.75GHZ Socket A Sempron that I'm thinking about overclocking.

I'm not even sure if I have an overclocking motherboard.

Stupid question #1:

Is Socket A a description of the cpu, motherboard or both?

I saw some instructions on a website that had to do with silver-based paint and connecting two bridges, does that sound familiar?

Edit: I know I'm sounding like an idiot, but I really do want to try.

MerePeer
03-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Actually a 2200+ runs at 1.50Ghz; did you mean a 2500+? it runs at 1.75Ghz. Here's a handy chart which shows the frequency, multiplier, FSB, and other exciting facts: http://http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#semp .

Socket A is the type of socket that the CPU chip sits in.

Yes, you'll need a Motherboard with a BIOS that lets you adjust things: the more it lets you adjust the better; minimally you'll want to adjust the FSB. Also if it has a screen which reports the voltages and temperatures, thats handy information. Spend some time in your BIOS and see what kinds of options it has. Also if you post your board & version, someone might reply that they've seen that one before and know what it can/cant do.

PCZ
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Tell us what MB you have.

Messing with the bridges used to be easy on Athlons but these days they are hard to mod.

jasong
03-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by MerePeer
Actually a 2200+ runs at 1.50Ghz; did you mean a 2500+? it runs at 1.75Ghz. I've had this conversation before, possibly in another forum, maybe even THIS forum right here. It IS a 2200+ clocked at 1.75 GHz, and YES, it was the most recent version of cpu-z.

jasong
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
Tell us what MB you have.

Messing with the bridges used to be easy on Athlons but these days they are hard to mod. I saw some pictures SOMEWHERE(sorry) that used A LOT of tape and some silver paint(Yes, I know it needs to be silver based, and not just silver colored)

Sorry, if I sound peeved, but my Internet connection keeps going in and out, so I'm suffering from on and off Internet withdrawal.

PCZ
03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
jasong

You say that you have a Sempron and the clockspeed is 1750mhz.
That makes it a 2500+

A 2200+ Sempron runs at 1500mhz.

Semprons are Athlon XP's with a new name.
The bus speed is now 166mhz instead of 133mhz.

The older Athlon XP 2200 actually runs at 1800 mhz 13.5 x 133mhz.

So if your bus speed is 166mhz and your multiplier is 10.5 then you have a Sempron 2500+.

http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#semp

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/xp_painting.html

jasong
03-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
jasong

You say that you have a Sempron and the clockspeed is 1750mhz.
That makes it a 2500+

A 2200+ Sempron runs at 1500mhz.

Semprons are Athlon XP's with a new name.
The bus speed is now 166mhz instead of 133mhz.

The older Athlon XP 2200 actually runs at 1800 mhz 13.5 x 133mhz.

So if your bus speed is 166mhz and your multiplier is 10.5 then you have a Sempron 2500+. *SIGH*

pay attention:

----------------------
CPU-Z version 1.24
----------------------

CPUID Output
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
Family/Model/Stepping 681
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping B0
Technology 0.13ยต
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Clock Speed 1747.8 MHz
Clock multiplier x10.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 166.5 MHz
Bus Speed 332.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1747.8 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits
quoted verbatim, with NO CHANGES.

Edit: I've looked at your first website, and I must admit to being confused.

PCZ
03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
No need for confusion
You have a Sempron 2500+

cpu z isn't correctly identifying your Sempron and the closest matching Athlon XP to your clockspeed is the old Athlon XP 2200+

This line from the cpuz output should say Sempron but it doesnt.

Maybe the the program needs updating.

Or your BIOS isn't correctly identifying the CPU and cpu z is getting info from the CPU id in the BIOS.

When your PC boots up does it say Sempron or Athlon XP ?

jasong
03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
No need for confusion
You have a Sempron 2500+

cpu z doesn't know what a Sempron is and the closest matching Athlon XP to your clockspeed is the old Athlon XP 2200+

This line from the cpuz output should say Sempron but it doesnt.

Obviously the program needs updating. Okay, now that we've settled that, what is it's potential for overclocking?

I'm still trying to find the information on the motherboard. When I bought it I had no intention of overclocking, so I may need to buy a new board.

PCZ
03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Your options depend on your MB
Does your MB allow you to change the FSB in the bios ?

What MB do you have ?

If you are not sure boot up and look at the bios ID string in the bottom left hand corner.

jasong
04-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Okay, it was decided in another thread that my present motherboard won't be able to overclock at all. Let's put that aside for the moment and help me with the following:I have an Athlon XP thermal cooler. Is it a good one?

Here. (http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=81)

n7vxj
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Jasong, it has been my experience that getting a SOLID copper heatsink dissipates the heat better than one that just has a copper pad on bottom.This opinion comes from experimenting on all 4 of my machines, all running AMD cpu's.All are overclocked, and I have spent a lot of money on coolers, experimenting , to keep my temps below 50c, while getting the best o.c. Keep in mind, this has been MY experience, and you could have different results.

jasong
04-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by n7vxj
Jasong, it has been my experience that getting a SOLID copper heatsink dissipates the heat better than one that just has a copper pad on bottom. I want to really thank you guys for helping even though I haven't bought anything yet. Information-wise, I think I'll be prepared enough to take the first steps in a week or two.

Question: Do I have to do anything to the physical makeup of the cpu to overclock it? It's a 256K ThoroughBred clocked at 1.75 GHz(cpu-z lists it as 2200+, although many people have posted saying it's actually a 2500+). I saw a Sempron overclocking mod somewhere, but I don't remember if it was a Sempron mod or a Sempron motherboard(?) mod.

LAURENU2
04-04-2005, 05:35 PM
And just one note on copper H/S Do not buy the Cop H/S that has the Fins soldiered to the base I had 2 of them heat up and the solder melted or weakened and the fins folded down heat built up and fried the CPU's
:bang:
Only Buy solid extruded Copper H/S

MerePeer
04-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Ya mean, like using a pencil to close some bridges? You won't have to bother doin that with your Sempron, but I love this quote ... smelled like burning !

From
tweak link (http://www.tweaknews.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5179) :

archaeic_bloke
TweakNOOB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
i tried to use the pencil trick on my thunderbird
but i think i screwed up and connected the L1's incorrectly and i cant remember if i was supposed to connect the L1's or the L6's.
booted computer after reinstalling CPU then it shut off by itself, and smelled like burning, so i unplugged it, took off the CPU erased the lines, and plugged it back in. Rebooted, and no post screen.
cleared the CMOS, unplugged computer for 5 minutes, checked CPU to make sure all lines were gone, and rebooted. still no post screen.
no matter what i do, there is no post screen.
HELLLP Confused

Turns out he didnt have the heatsink connected. :scratch:

Also apparently there are some software techniques for adjusting the FSB, some discussion I happened upon here:
http://www.tweaknews.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5163

CaptainMooseInc
04-04-2005, 07:31 PM
If someone really knows there mobos, I think they should compile a small list of Socket A, 478, 939, 940, and Xeon boards that allow OCing in the BIOS. This ASUS A7N8X mobo for my Sempron doesn't allow it. All the boards I have ever bought don't allow it. I'm very sad for this fact because I know how to keep my system cool. My next system is going to have 2 front case fans, 2 back case fans, a side case fan and 2 blowers attached to it. Next to watercooling I say it'll stay nice and chilly.

-Jeff

A quick search on GooGle provided a small list of AMD64 FX-51 and FX-53 boards that allow easy OCing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040318/athlon-fx53-03.html