PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound when SB started

Leviathann
04-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I just started this project for the first time and when I did a weird sound started emitting from my machine and is continuing as I type this. It sounds like as if you were to continuously pour sand into a glass container or if sand was pouring through an hourglass but it's really faint. Anyone know what this is? It's not the first time it's happened, I'm a bit worried.

EDIT: upon further inspection after taking my case panel off it sounds almost like a chirping noise coming from my PSU. It seems to pause for a second every few minutes.

Pconfig
04-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Do not cross post please

Leviathann
04-03-2005, 03:33 PM
excuse me? who are you?

Pconfig
04-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Just a forum user but you already posted this in the official SOB forum, i don't think you should post it twice :p

CaptainMooseInc
04-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, one post is in the OFFICIAL SoB forum, the other is on the OFFICIAL Free-DC forum. Free-DC may HOST the SoB forum, but it's not cross posting because -technically- they are two different forums entirely. Why not double your odds by posting to two forums? Some of the guys at Free-DC don't check the official SoB forum, but may check the team forum for the project and be able to help him.

It's just better odds. Now if he went in a posted in the main SoB forum, the Teams subforum, the Sieving subforum, and/or the Factoring subforum, then yes, that would be overkill.

-Jeff

Leviathann
04-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeh.

And I'm worried about my new computer. Don't want it blowing up on me.

Pconfig
04-04-2005, 03:05 AM
OK Then :)

I don't think your computer will blow although i think the weird sounds comes out of the CPU. I have a P4 2.8 GHz in house that also make a weird sound when every maths program starts. Realy strange but it's running over a year like this so i think it wont harm your computer. And you realy get used to that sound :D

wirthi
04-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, try to figure out where that sound is coming from. Just a few guesses:

Fan (of CPU)
Fan (of power supply)
PC Speaker

It should be possible to find out where the sound is coming from. Hint: use your ear :Pokes:

Does it happen with every distributed computing project or just with SOB? My best guess would be the CPU-Fan. This starts and stops every time the SOB-client uploads a unit.

Leviathann
04-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I have a Pentium 4 2.4C so they are pretty close in generation. Assuming your's is also a 'C'.

It's done this before but only for a very short period of time and I forget what I did to make it do it. SoB seems to be the only that makes it chirp. Very odd.

But as far as I can tell it's loudest near the power supply and I know it's not the cpu fan and I don't think it's the psu fans. Perhaps it's some kind of oscillation in the psu or something? I'll check google again but the only thing I could find there last time was about G5 Macs PSU's chirping.

EDIT!!!

When I load Everest Home Edition it starts chirping louder for a second or so.
And when I run it's benchmark tests the sound stops but then resumes when the tests are done.

Fritz
04-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Folks,

If the sound is a high frequency chirping, its "normal" for P4Cs running SoB. I did some testing and found that all of the P4Cs set up with dual channel memory do the same thing on both Intel and ASUS boards. It doesn't matter whether the chipset is 865 or 875, and the noise level is roughly proportioanl to the processing rate. There is no temperature effect, and the systems are reliable.(no issues in 9 months of processing on two systems) I cannot localize the sound to a component, but is definitely coming from the MB.

Regards,

Fritz

Pconfig
04-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Fritz
Folks,

If the sound is a high frequency chirping, its "normal" for P4Cs running SoB. I did some testing and found that all of the P4Cs set up with dual channel memory do the same thing on both Intel and ASUS boards. It doesn't matter whether the chipset is 865 or 875, and the noise level is roughly proportioanl to the processing rate. There is no temperature effect, and the systems are reliable.(no issues in 9 months of processing on two systems) I cannot localize the sound to a component, but is definitely coming from the MB.

Regards,

Fritz

That's exactly my expierence!

Leviathann
04-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Fritz
Folks,

Regards,

Fritz

Excellent conclusion, Fritz! Not only am I running a P4C but I'm running it on an Asus I875 board with dual channel ram. A deadly combo if I do say so myself. >=)~

This should be made sticky immediately!

PCZ
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
My guess its the voltage regulator circuits oscillating.

I have an MSI MB that makes a lot of noise from the coils in the voltage regulator circuitry that feeds the CPU core voltage.

Leviathann
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
That was one of my guesses also. Too bad none of us has an oscilliscope.

Pconfig
04-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Leviathann
That was one of my guesses also. Too bad none of us has an oscilliscope.

@ School but that's not realy gonna help :)

Leviathann
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Can anyone else verify this issue?

magnav0x
04-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Shucks if only I had one of those processor/mb combos to test it out on. I have a oscilliscope.

Leviathann
04-06-2005, 10:56 PM
lol, that figures.