PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if I'm sieving or p-1ing?

CaptainMooseInc
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
My client is crunching away at SoB, but I remember someone saying the client is faster on AMDs when sieving instead of p-1ing. I have attached an image of what my client is doing ATM. I dunno if it's sieving or factoring.

I tried the second pass thing but it seemed to be going really really slow so I switched back to the normal program.

wirthi
04-04-2005, 05:08 PM
If you are running the normal client (the one attached) you are doing normal find-a-prime stuff (don't know how that's called technically).

To do sieving ot factoring you need to download another client that needs a lot more babysitting (you don't the the WUs automatically but have to reserve them in the forum, etc ...)

Pconfig
04-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Note: you can't find a prime with sieving or factoring. It's just an efficient way to eleminatie primilaty tests!

CaptainMooseInc
04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't care if I find a prime or not...

Which client do I use if I want to sieve? (If it's LLRNET then I'll stick with p-1ing). I wish someone would make a program for sieving that would allow you to reserve a range via the program. The program would download a list of "reserved" and "available" rangers from a host server. If the server has waited too long for a "reserved" set of data to be returned, it would automatically bring it back to the "available" list. Then you could highlight a range (or a few ranges) that you would like to "reserve" and sieve for.

This would make the "babysitting" task less time consuming and you wouldn't have to look through threads to see who's "reserved" what. It would all be server handled and "distributed"...

If someone thinks this is a decent idea and knows how to get into contact with the SoB people easily, then be my guest and pass it along. I really feel too "new" to the project to be throwing ideas into the project managers' faces...

If nothing else I'll repost this in the "official" SoB forum.

-Jeff

IronBits
04-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Check the offical forum, they have two sub forms for both :cheers:
Of course, you have to report any good stuff you find out here :D