PDA

View Full Version : Auto-update question

MAD-ness
05-25-2002, 01:34 PM
Will the "auto-update" for the CASP5 protein require an .exe update or just the protein files?

Also, would it be possible to get messages out on the page somewhere to people to make sure and upload results by a given time? Some people don't frequent the forums. Maybe on the stats pages put a big red warning or something?

In the long run it seems like less effort than dealing with irate people who lose a lot of structures (especially since we have all dug in for a LONG run on the currrent protein and may large caches no-netted).

Thanks.

PS - would it be possible to have a news flash via the client in future versions? I know security is an issue and the client only receives "acknowledgements" of received uploads, but would it be possible/acceptable to piggyback in something that would flash a "new update" in the CLI screen and on the screensaver as future protein changes approach? This impacts not only large distributed computing geeks, but the casual user who might not realize they are no longer producing meaningful results or who might encounter an update problem and not have any idea what is causing it.

FoBoT
05-27-2002, 02:48 PM
keep in mind that there have been a few small tweaks/changes in the past couple of months

anyone that hasn't done a fresh install since the beginning of april or earlier might want to consider just doing a complete reinstall of the client with the latest containing the new protein after its posted at the end of the week

that is what i am going to do anyway

YMMV :)

Paratima
05-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Your Momma Makes Volkswagens? :confused:

jlandgr
05-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Your mileage may vary :)
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/y/YMMV.html
I agree that a prominent notification about protein changes would be great!
Jerome
edit:
YKYBHTLW ;)