PDA

View Full Version : Building a farm web-page

jasong
04-07-2005, 06:13 PM
I didn't know whether to post this in Suggestions or here, and I don't want to be considered a spammer, so I put it here.

Here's the thing. I have a strong desire to build a farm, but the unknowns scare the crap out of me. I know I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge, but I'm not sure I'm aware of where the gaps are located. There are plenty of places to get the information I need, but there are a ton(A TON) of dead-ends.

What I, and many other people, need, is a collaborative effort that basically says,"Hey, you have an absolutely ENORMOUS amount of stuff to learn, but this is a site helps anyone who's serious about building a farm to get the knowledge." Links, and descriptions of links, would be highly abundant, and there would be someone(I wave my hand energetically in an attempt to volunteer) who would go out and invite people to answer specific questions about what's best for their project/projects and the hobby in general. There would be information available about power supplies, wattage of specific components(including processors); basically anything you would need to know could be found, or tracked down, by going there.
I know this would take a lot of work, probably more than someone would want to volunteer, so I'd like to be the first to offer a donation to this effort: $10(more if this takes off).

I would love to see a successful site that does this, even if it's a pay site or has advertising.

LAURENU2
04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
You have nothing to fear but fear it self Just do it
Start with 2 PC's 1 server 1 client and one router or a dsl/cable gateway router if you have broadband
Wireless may not be a good choice for doing DC projects
If you do run into any problems Just post then here and I am sure you will get the answers you need

rsbriggs
04-07-2005, 09:33 PM
There's a couple of sticky posts over in the networking forum - I worked through this exact thing with IronBits. We wrote up some stuff....

jasong
04-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
There's a couple of sticky posts over in the networking forum - I worked through this exact thing with IronBits. We wrote up some stuff.... I'll look. Thanks

Edit: I appreciate the link referral, but I really don't want to give up the idea of a website dedicated to DC expansion. One thing I thought of is the fact that some of us know of off-the-beaten-path places that give awesome deals on hardware. The labor on the website could be paid for through referrals. You could sign up for referrals and make ONE web page with the link referral information from each site. If a coordinator found a good deal on an overclockable Xeon, for example, you could say click here, then click here, here, and here. The site would be paid for and nobody would have to worry about the self-serving advertising.

One thing I thought was an interesting idea, would be a Sticky that points to other links or summarizes them. A mod could make a Sticky and edit it to reflect recommended links in the rest of the Thread. If someone came up with a really good Linux install instructions, you could add a link in the Sticky that goes directly to that post. I made a post about power consumption, it would be much more useful if someone could go right to it without having to search every other post and possibly not find it because the topic of the thread changed in the middle.

If it's possible, I'd like to be given unlimited edits to my posts so that I can try to implement this idea. But not if it means you have to give me modding privileges.

Is it possible?

Bok
04-07-2005, 11:19 PM
The time limit for edit's on a post are not configurable by user in vBulletin AFAIK. At least I've never seen that option. It's a global config setting.

Bok

jasong
04-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Bok
The time limit for edit's on a post are not configurable by user in vBulletin AFAIK. At least I've never seen that option. It's a global config setting.

Bok Hmmmmmm, okay. I'm thinking I need to learn a little bit of HTML, and maybe ask people to host any graphics that seem necessary. Basically, I'd be a grunt that consolidates information about DC in general.

I'm going to start a new thread in a different forum asking for advice on HTML programs and the best place or book to learn from.

Thanks, guys.

Bok
04-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd be happy to host the graphics for you, or in fact a small webpage.

Bok

Dyyryath
04-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Actually, this sounds like something that could go on the Free-DC site itself. It'd make a good section all of it's own.

If you'd like to do the 'grunt work', we could certainly help out with space on the site, graphics, HTML expertise, etc...