PDA

View Full Version : budget replacement advice, please

QIbHom
04-08-2005, 10:44 PM
The motherboard on my partner's computer just died. More accurately, there were flames, then the CPU fan died. A replacement CPU fan wouldn't spin up, but the box will boot. I do not know a way to fudge the fan connector, and, frankly, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Old system was a 1mHz AMD. I can't even remember what kind of CPU - T-bird, maybe. It takes PC2100 RAM.

So, I need a replacement mobo, which probably means another CPU and more RAM. Unless someone knows where to get a cheap mobo that will use the current CPU and RAM. Built in video and sound are fine. Actually, prefered, since I don't have spare cards lying around.

She uses her PC for F@H, word processing, minor gaming (Frozen Bubble and solitaire, not Doom 3), web browsing and e-mail.

I'm afraid I haven't kept up with CPU and mobo tech. I'd appreciate any advice on chips to avoid (Intel is out - I just don't like their stuff), tips, things I should consider, etc. Unfortunately, the budget is tight.

Thanks, gang. And I promise that next time I see flames coming out of a computer, I'll try to get pics.

CaptainMooseInc
04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
I'll provide a mobo and CPU suggestion w/ price and link to sellers online so you may buy a new setup.

For what you're talking about, I suggest:

ASUS A7N8X-VM/400 Motherboard
http://www.partspc.com/store/product2329.html
Price w/ shipping is around $55.

AMD Sempron 2200+ (1.5GHz)
http://www.portatech.com/catalog/products.asp?ID=227
Price w/ shipping is around $53.

Kingston 512MB DDR333 (PC2700 / CL2.5)
http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=MYKI-333C25-512&REFID=PW
Price w/ shipping is around $50.

Total Cost: ~$158

Look at the processor and see if it has any black/burnt looking spots. Most likely it's dead. I'd suggest if you're going to replace the mobo that you replace the chip too, even if it is still good. Pull the RAM. PC2100 works on the MOBO that I suggested.
If it's under 256MBs of PC2100 then you might want to think about buying a new stick, though.

When you rebuild the system your Hard Drive -will not- boot properly under the new hardware. You'll need a replacement OS. If you want to save any of the data on the hard drive you'll need another drive to be your primary master drive and make the other one a secondary slave drive so you can pull the files off. You'll install the OS on the new hard drive and then pull the files from the old one, then format the old hard drive. I can get you a LEGAL copy of WinXP Pro with a CD Key and everything for $10.60 if you don't have an OS.

-Jeff

QIbHom
04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Moose. No onboard video on that mobo, but otherwise, it looks good. Asus is a name I know, and I'm seeing a lot of mobo manufacturers I've never heard of.

Why the Sempron, and not an XP? I know the Duron is old and crippled, isn't the Sempron also crippled? I'm got a Barton, but I'm boggling that Bartons still seem to be the good chip, if you can't go 64 bit.

The CPU actually looked fine, and the computer booted, but I'd just as soon replace it, anyway. When I built that system, it was zippy, but now it is just a dog. Actually, I couldn't find charred bits anywhere, which was pretty amazing, since there were 4" flames until I pulled the power cord (which only took a second or two).

I don't think I'll have any trouble getting the data off. All her data is on a seperate /home partition, so I'll just reinstall Libranet on the other partition, and things should be fine. I've hosed enough computers that I always put personal data on it's own partion, on it's own drive, if I can manage it.

It is a 512 meg stick of RAM, so even though it is a bit slow, it's good enough for what she does.

IronBits
04-09-2005, 12:24 AM
You can buy a 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan connector for less than a couple bucks ;)
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=1510&cat=41&page=1

QIbHom
04-09-2005, 12:45 AM
That looks awesome, IB! Definitely within my budget, although she might be disappointed she isn't getting a faster CPU. It's worth a shot, anyway. Do you drink coffee? If so, I'll ship you a pound of my homeroast.

Now, if I can just figure out what their minimum order is, resist buying case lights or find another place to get one...

IronBits
04-09-2005, 12:47 AM
They are so common now adays, you can find them in some HS kits... Fry's has them on the shelf, any computer store should have one lying around they might just give you... just look around...

CaptainMooseInc
04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
$72 - http://www.compu-terra.com/store/product20.html

It's the same mobo but with Onboard Video, LAN, and Sound. I made a mistake by "thinking" the delux edition had those too.

Other parts are still great suggestions.

AMD Sempron = the AMD Athlon XP renamed. AMD wanted to save the "XP" line for the high end 64 bit chipset.

I have an AMD Sempron 2800+. I paid around $103 for it. You can get one from http://www.pchardware4u.com/details.aspx?REF=1&SKU=33333A for ~$80 Retail Boxxed and not OEM. If you want to spend the money go for that.

Anything above AMD Sempron 2800+ is a waste (the AMD Sempron 3100+ is the AMD Athlon XP 64bit 3000+ chip clocked down and the 64 bit instructions disabled). You need to buy a REAL A64 chip if you want to go for something better.

-Jeff

P.S. Intel suXXX compared to AMD. :)

QIbHom
04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
If decent computer stores carries them, I'll run up to Microcenter tomorrow morning. No Frys around here. Besides, no one is going to ship tonight.

This is what I get for no longer hacking on my hardware. I still think that popsicle stick hard drive cradle rocked.

Thanks, IronBits. I didn't know those existed, and if it works, my partner will be very happy.

IronBits
04-09-2005, 01:13 AM
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0182071
2x 4-pin Molex and 2x 3-pin Fan Power Slot Connector ...
might work... $6 is a rip off, check a local small computer store instead ;)

QIbHom
04-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Yeah, Microcenter can be pricy, but they are also the only computer store within 34 miles I've found that doesn't treat me like a bimbo. I have an easier time finding auto parts stores that treat a woman like a human being.

Thank goodness for online stores, eh?

CaptainMooseInc
04-09-2005, 04:26 AM
We got our first Fry's today! It was a collosal grand opening!

I work for an inventory, and the biggest "normal store" inventories fail to compare to what we're going to have to have for a crew at Fry's (not warehouses that we do, but just things like Kohl's, CompUSA's, Best Buy's, etc). My boss is a big techie nerd and he went up there. Normally for the stores listed above we have 25-50 people come in and count the inventory for the store. He's estimating 120 people minimum to count this Fry's here in Fishers, IN. We only have ~100 active "auditors" in our district, so we're going to probably bring around 60 from our district and "borrow" 20-30 from 3 other surrounding districts.

Can you imagine how big that store must be to double the crews we have to have on stores of 100,000+ sq feet that we already count?!?!?

I'm gonna like having Fry's around. :D

-Jeff

P.S. He also said they have the store broken into two "sections". There's a side for the everyday Joe who wants their computer pre-built with a name brand on it, then there's a whole side dedicated to those who know how to DIY. They have people working there on both sides that know exactly how to handle both crowds. So that means I can walk up to a sales clerk and ask him about overclocking on motherboards and he'll actually know WTF I'm talking about!!!

MerePeer
04-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Some of those older AMD chips used SLOT A, not SOCKET A; seems from this chart http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html like a 1ghz Thunderbird could be either one. So, just in case the fan/wire solution doesnt work out -- and arent you concerned about a repeat of 4 inch flames from that mobo? -- I think you'll want to hunt down the maker and model of the mobo so we can figure out what socket it has, which will help figure out what cpu it has.

I have been happy with two Socket A Biostar M7NCG 400 mobos I recently bought, but I haven't used them in a Windows build so can't directly speak about the Windows drivers, and I haven't had them long so can't speak about reliability. However there are 170 online comments about it on the newegg site here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&depa=1).
I like them so far because they: (1) support 400mhz; (2) onboard video, using NVIDIA; (3) chipset uses NVIDIA; (4) microAtx size; (5) supports 3 memory sticks; (6) has overclocking settings in the BIOS; (7) is $62 + $2 for shipping. NOTE: no serial ATA (SATA) support.

And I'm happy with the Semprons in them -- run cool, run fast.

QIbHom
04-09-2005, 02:48 PM
The connector worked! Fan is running, and we're watching for flames. I'm hoping it was just some dust burning off, since I can't find melted plastic or char marks anywhere. We're watching it closely.

I didn't know the Sempron was the renamed XP - thanks. AMD has really been screwing with part names the last few years.

MeerPeer, I have one Biostar mobo. It seems to be stable. I could care less about Windows drivers - the deal was that I would build and support her PC if it *didn't* run Windows. I've used mostly MSI boards, although they seem to be slipping in quality.

I appreciate all the help, gang. You've got me started on figuring out the current stuff, so I can start watching for sales and all.