PDA

View Full Version : If you own it...flaunt it...

CaptainMooseInc
04-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Hello everyone. My b-day was back in January but I haven't been able to meet up with my dad to get my b-day present until TONIGHT!!! I went up to Fry's Electronics and purchased the Aspire X-Infinity case for $75 to house my Dual Xeon system. I don't own anything but the chips and the case, but it's a step closer to building it.

Since I don't have phots of the finished product I want to flaunt off picturs OF the case all lit up (which is what drew me to it). I think the TOP CASE FAN was my biggest draw to it (it made me nearly drool and I can't explain as to why).

Below I have provided a link to newegg's product listing of it which comes with about 11 pictures. Could someone please look at the second thumbnail in the first row (click it to make it bigger) and explain to me what the vent like things are inbetween the lights??? I couldn't figure out their use. When I looked at the case in the store all I saw was two small holes behind them. I am wondering if they are there for the top case fan to pull air and it would create a vacuum across the top of the CD drives to keep them cooler??? Is it just for looks??? Someone please help me with that!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=11-144-076&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

Happy Belated Birthday to Me again!!! :|party|:

-Jeff

I plan on pulling the 350w power supply and replacing it with a $67 power supply from Fry's electronics. It's 550w ATX PSU w/ 34A on the 12V rail which is WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH for this OCing....

Bok
04-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure those vents aren't just for show...

as for the PSU, it depends on which mobo you intend to use. For the PC-DL that should be fine. For the NCCH-DL I think you have to get an EPS PSU with a 24pin and 8pin power connector.

I would recommend getting one anyway even for the PC-DL..

Bok

CaptainMooseInc
04-16-2005, 01:44 PM
You think I still need an EPS PSU for the ASUS PC-DL???

I thought 34A on the 12v Rail would be plenty for a normal ATX PSU???

Doesn't really matter to me though...you've built 2 and are working on the third...I am extremely scared about building this thing with the modding and whatnot and I will most likely be consulting you heavily when the process begins...I have so many questions...

-Jeff

Bok
04-16-2005, 02:04 PM
As I said you don't need it on the PC-DL. In fact my 3rd one this week will probably be with a PSU that is not EPS...

The modding is extremely simple...

You don't really need the vdimm mod on the mobo, so the only thing you have to do is the u-wire mod. That is as simple as getting a few strands of speaker wire, cut to length and looped in certain holes in the CPU sockets. Takes a couple of minutes /shrug

The worst part is the HS/fan IMO. Go with the IWT's if you can find them.

Bok

IronBits
04-16-2005, 03:24 PM
IF you can SEE the wire! I have to wear my magnification hood to see the damn things, even with my bifocals! :rotfl:
and don't drop it, cause you will NEVER find it. I usually turn the mobo over and shake it a lot when I drop one so it doesn't short it out. ;)
IWTs rock! :D