PDA

View Full Version : D2oL and a USB Mem Stick

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Is it possible to sneaker net D2oL on a machine using a USB mem stick, i.e the full D2oL program and such resides on the stick and the stick gets moved from machine without Net to one with then gets dumped, if so how is this done what size of stick would I need for this I got 1 machine I can use for this it's a P III 766Mhz (it's a dell Optiplex) with 256mb ram running win98se since it's either that or NT and NT don't have usb support unless there is a patch for it...

em99010pepe
04-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Yes, it is possible.

Imagine you have two computers:

A - with internet access and running D2OL
B - without internet access

1º - Create a second D2OL installation on the A machine.
2º - Download 2000 wu's
3º - Copy the entire D2OL folder to the USB mem stick
4º - Copy the D2OL folder that it is on the USB to the B machine
5º - Run D2OL from machine B
6º - To send the completed wu's from machine B just copy only the RES folder to your USB mem stick and then overwrite the RES folder from machine A (D2OL second installation).
7º - Run D2OL (second installation) from machine A, send the wu's, cache more 2000.
8º - Copy again the RES folder from machine A, second installation, to USB.
9º - Copy RES folder from USB to machine B
10º - Go to step 5

RES folder ~18 MB

Hope that helps,

Carlos

EDIT:

Just found here an explanation that kb9skw sent me a few months ago. This english is better:

Hi and welcome. This is a very easy thing to do so follow along. [Smile]

After you made a temporary installation of D2OL on the machine that has internet access, download the number of tasks you want to crunch. Make sure the agent is offline during this so you are not actually crunching anything during this process as we want all of these tasks for your other machine.

When done find the SengentD2OL/D2OL folder. You will want to copy out the entire /res/ folder to a CD, flash drive or whatnot. 2,000 tasks should be about 10MB. Now start back up that temp install of D2OL, turn off the agent so it is again not crunching, go into the status menu and flush all of the tasks. This will delete all of the tasks you just downloaded but that’s ok because you have already saved them somewhere else.

Now on the machine that does not have Internet access, just browse to the SengentD2OL/D2OL folder and move the previously saved /res/ folder on top of the one in this machine. This will overwrite the current /res/ folder with one with all of your tasks.

When the tasks are done, which may be weeks depending on your cpu speed and how many tasks you downloaded, just turn off D2OL and find the resultQueue.dat file in the SengentD2OL/D2OL/res/ folder. This is your result file. Cut/move this file to your portable medium and stick in the same folder on your machine with Internet access. Start up the client on the Internet machine and let it upload the results and download new tasks.

This may look like its hard and takes a lot of time, but is really not. Once you have downloaded the tasks you want, it is really only a two minute job.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask any more questions, that’s what I am here for.

Evilmoose
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I did it for over a year at my old job with an old 32 meg drive by saving the program on the hard drive and just transfering the res folder.
I seem to remember running right from the stick but I would want at least a 128 meg for that. D2OL doesnt care what directory it run from but it does take up some space with a large cache.

You can just copy an existing install and flush the cache so youre not doing the same units twice.

IronBits
04-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Running it ON/FROM the stick will shorten it's lifetime a LOT .
It's best if you zip it up then copy it to the USB drive.
This way it's only one file. With 1,000,000 writes in a lifetime for the stick,
it would leave you with 999,999 writes to go ;)

It costs you 2 writes per move to/back cycle for a lifetime of 500,000 total swaps.
200+ files would eat that lifetime up quickly... unless I missed something...

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
yeah true, I realised that one lol.. hmm now to sneaker it on to the machine, I take it I don't need erm any special reg entries or the like for it to work.... I'll "install" the version with java as I doubt the machine that is running it will have java on it..