PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Eon's downtime

jasong
04-22-2005, 07:12 PM
One of the problems with running Eon is that it inevitably has time where the cpu doesn't have work(if you can't figure out why that may be a problem, this topic is a waste of your time). The amount of time "wasted" is anywhere from 3 minutes an hour up to the whole hour.

In my case, I want Eon to get whatever power it wants, when it wants it. But when Eon is between work units, I want another program to take over. That's why I want to tell you about a program called SetPriority which you can get here. (http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/) This is a nifty little program you can use that can help you get other programs to behave more like you want them to.

Read the helpfile to figure out how to run it. It's simple to run, at least to me, but I have two comments. The first comment is flippant and it is the fact that I think the person who originally created the main Priority setting instructions(I mean the instruction set on the cpu, the hardware code) was either demented or liked to make an ass of himself. You'll understand when you read the helpfile. My second comment is that it's probably a good idea to give BOTH the major and minor priority settings in each command, but that's just my opinion.

Have fun with this program, I know I will.

black_civic55
04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
thanks for this, sounds like an interesting program.

jasong
04-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I just realized that I didn't give any programs that are good with the downtime, so I'll list three:

Seventeen or Bust(SOB) sieving and RieselSieve sieving(assume your sieving speed will be anywhere from a tenth to a thirtieth of normal when you reserve)

distributed.net projects(their work units are nice and tiny, so if you take 20-30 times as long as usual to do something it's okay.

jasong
06-23-2005, 07:22 PM
I've decided to bump this and ask a question.

Does anyone have experience with Eon and secondary projects? Since Riesel Sieve sieving reservations are now handled with a script, I'm hoping I can use that as a secondary project. But I don't know if they'll behave properly.

jasong
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Okay, now I know they don't behave properly.

It seems a shame to waste that processing time, does anyone have any advice on getting them to cooperate?

Btw, the effects of the program I advertised are scary. I think the program was made by someone with dyslexia or something similar, the thread and main priority settings seem to run in a backwards fashion(the thread command controlling main priority and vice versa)

vaughan
06-24-2005, 11:20 PM
When it is on-line DHEP works well with eOn.

I'm trying D2OL currently and running Jeff Gilchrist's D2OL Daddy application to force D2OL to take a low priority. This allows eOn and D2OL to get approx. 50% CPU each on my xp3200+.