PDA

View Full Version : For some reason.....

rsbriggs
05-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I feel like trying to talk to E.T. today....

Perhaps I'll crunch a few SETI packets......

magicfan241
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Nanoo! Nanoo!

:p

magicfan241

rsbriggs
05-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Not Mork, for heavens sake..... :rolleyes:

Hey - how long do these silly jobs sit on their server as "pending" - there are results I've submitted yesterday that still haven't cleared..... :confused:

tim
05-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Don't know. The boinc thing has been a perpetual headache for many people, perhaps that's what's ailing you. Me, I'm still doing the "classic" version.

Angus
05-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Your result has to wait for at least 2 other users to return the same result, and then the 'validator' will compare them, and if they appear to be similar enough, you will be granted credit for the WU.

The credit will most likely be the middle value of the 3 'claimed' credit values, and all 3 users will get the same 'granted' credit.

If you go to "Your Account'" on the SETI-BOINC (http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/index.php) page, click on "Results - View" , find your returned result, and click the "Work Unit ID" link, you will see the other computers assigned the same WU, and see the status.

You currently appear to have 4 'pending' credits, and 1 granted credit (http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=14460697) , on PC 843043. You can see that you got slightly more than your 'claimed' credit, because the high and low scores were tossed out.

BOINC is a complicated thing to figure out. It's not like any other platform we've dealt with in DC.

rsbriggs
05-05-2005, 07:45 AM
So, I guess the things to remember are that

1.) The results are not realtime - there is a delay in granting credit. Sometimes days worth of delays.

2.) Credits for a WU are assigned based on the "average" of the three computers that have completed them.

3.) It takes a long time for stats to show up, because of the delay in granting credit, and then the once-per-day generation of the stats file.

From poking around, it appears that Macs do very well at this....

Guess there isn't much you can do about figuring out the stats then, except run over a long period of time and look at averages...

Angus
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
So, I guess the things to remember are that

1.) The results are not realtime - there is a delay in granting credit. Sometimes days worth of delays.

The delay can be weeks - all kinds of things can prevent the timely return of 3 valid results. The deadline on each WU is 2 weeks, so your delay can be multiples of that timeframe.

2.) Credits for a WU are assigned based on the "average" of the three computers that have completed them.

3.) It takes a long time for stats to show up, because of the delay in granting credit, and then the once-per-day generation of the stats file.
Not sure about when they generate the stats files for the 3rd party folks.

From poking around, it appears that Macs do very well at this....

Guess there isn't much you can do about figuring out the stats then, except run over a long period of time and look at averages...

rsbriggs
05-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Finally !!!!