PDA

View Full Version : Free-DC > DIMES

CaptainMooseInc
05-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Heya everyone...

Since Ohad and the rest of the DIMES team have decided to go MIA, I want Free-DC to help solve the mystery of the non-graphing DIMES program.

Now, I have installed DIMES on computers at a college campus. There is absolutely NO problem with DIMES graphing there.

I run -two- instances of DIMES behind a Linksys router (one system, the AMD, also has ZoneAlarm Pro on it).

Now the two systems using DIMES both DON'T GRAPH. Both are using the latest version of the Java Platform from Sun.

Now before you say "It's the router" take this into consideration. I brought my dad's laptop to my house to work on it. DIMES was installed and after the FIRST measurement I had a graph popped up.

So...

Video Driver problem you say? Nope. I have an nVidia card with the latest version of the drivers (71.89). The other computer is running an ATI Graphics card...

Soooooo....what suggestions might we have? Could the ZoneAlarm Firewall be blocking stuff?

I wish I knew how to find out what ports DIMES uses (both UDP and ICMP) so I can "allow outbound connections" through my router and my ZoneAlarm. I don't know how that'll help the Intel system running DIMES though....

I'm on a quest to find a workaround for this program. Let's band together and be a technical team that DIMES could only DREAM of having. I wanna solve problems with the program (unless it's code-based, but I don't think this is) faster than DIMES can. :)

-Jeff

black_civic55
05-04-2005, 10:44 PM
haha how bout while were at it fixing my problem with it too

On one of my computers nothing happens at all, i mean i double click the icon to run it and nothing happens. nothing at all.

CaptainMooseInc
05-04-2005, 10:58 PM
*jokingly hands black_civic some CAT5e*

:D

-Jeff

Bok
05-04-2005, 11:11 PM
netstat would identify ports in use.

But I can't see how any port blocking would affect a graph being drawn.

I would say it would have to be graphic driver or java related (if indeed it is java being used to draw the graph).

Are the same versions of java installed on all PC's?

Just because it's the latest version doesn't mean it's fully compatible...

Bok

CaptainMooseInc
05-04-2005, 11:44 PM
PCs using the latest version of Java have been able to graph successfully. My PCs using the EXACT same version cannot graph though...

I've tried differnet platforms of Java (other than Sun) and nothing is helping....

Me thinks it's most likely the graphics card not working with Java properly and something is getting all mixed up...

The weird thing is that it graphed PERFECTLY FINE back with the old version .3 before this .4 stuff started coming around...

So somehwere inbetween .3 and .4 we have a big big problem...

Also, what's the deal with v0.3.9.10? I thought once you got to .9 you had to move up. So shouldn't that release be v0.4.0.0? I know it's not out of BETA yet but they shouldn't have moved so aggressively with the new versions. It can still be version .4 even if it's v0.4.1.8 ya know? :-p

Silly Israelis....

-Jeff