PDA

View Full Version : Logging or some indicator

SeanAdams
05-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi there,

I've been a strong supporter on Distributed Computing projects, and have contributed mostly to United Devices's projects (just because of the slickness of their client).

Would it be possible to include something simple in this agent (DHE) so that one can see if it is actually working? There doesn't seem to be any obvious log files, and from reading the forum - if you want to run this as a service then there is no GUI (or any client-side graphical indication of progress).

The reason for this request is that I have installed the DHE agent, but I have no idea if it is even running or processing (and it seems to not be using the processor very much which would lead me to believe that it is not).

The simplest answer for this would probably be to start with a simple log file. From there, it would be reasonably simple to build a client-side application to read this log file and display the results.

So, for a first step - could you please either add a log file to this software so that I (and other users) can see if it is actually working?

Cheers
Sean

PS - just for the author of the software (and the project) - I think that this is a fantastic project, and it's exciting to finally have evolution applied to circuit design. At present, my feeling is that the project's technology is a little geared towards highly technically competent clients - if one could make this more "idiot proof", with a simple client-side GUI, I believe that your take-up on this project would be far higher!

michaelgarvie
05-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Sean and welcome to DHEP. :|party|:

Thanks for your comments on how to improve the client so that it is more extensible. This would be trivial to do. The client does actually output enough information to know exactly what is going on. All that needs to be done is to tell the Java NT service wrapper to log this to a file. This can be done by changing the wrapper.conf configuration file in the directory where the DHEP client is installed. THe documentation for the Java NT service wrapper can be found at: http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html

It would be great if you could publish this information and then maybe someone could pick it up and make a nicer "idiot proof" open source client.

:cheers: Miguel

SeanAdams
05-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey Miguel,

You are right - logging seems to be very easy - just change the wrapper logging section of your Wrapper.conf file to say

# Format of output for the console. (See docs for formats)
wrapper.console.format=PM

# Log Level for console output. (See docs for log levels)
wrapper.console.loglevel=INFO

# Log file to use for wrapper output logging.
wrapper.logfile=dheLog.txt
wrapper.logfile.loglevel=INFO
wrapper.logfile.format=LPTM

# Log Level for sys/event log output. (See docs for log levels)
wrapper.syslog.loglevel=INFO

Would it be possible to request that this be put into the standard install?

Cheers
Sean

PS - because this log is in a fixed-length delimited format, it can be easily imported into excel, or access (to build a quick frontend) - if anyone has a few minutes spare?

Bok
05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
output to html might be nice too....

Bok