PDA

View Full Version : How many points?!

meep
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
As the title says, hats off to the chaps at the top of the Free-DC tree in DIMES for their production lately.. awesome stuff!

We are pretty much doubling the output of the nearest team, with PCZ, the bugger, running away with it :)

Personally I had almost lost interest with this one until the latest update that allowed you to up the rate of measurements and b/w used, meaning I could take advantage of the higher b/w connections my agents are sitting on.

Has anyone come across any tweaks that allow agents to run even faster?

PY 222
05-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Although I have the same amount of Agents running the same version with the same optimized settings, I am getting a varied range of measurements daily and I too would like to know what else I can do to increase my daily measurements.

As of right now, I am a little ticked of at this project becase it does not provide us with a Linux client. If they had, I am sure I could put more Agent to work and try to catch up with PCZ before he goes too far ahead that we won't be able to see him anymore. :jester:

Bok
05-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Me too, I'm hugely limited by a lack of linux client... :)

Bok ;)

meep
05-06-2005, 02:32 PM
From my view point, the java element of this project is used for the "mapping/graphing" of the measurements made. I do not see how it can have any use to the actual measurements as these are made via tracert's.

If that is the case, surely a 'measurement only' client could be released which could be ported to all OS's.

To be quite honest I have not actually looked in detail at the graphical output once and have no real interest in it...

CaptainMooseInc
05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Java is mainly used to be "flexible". By being Java-based it's multi-platform...supposedly.

PY 222, the reason you are seeing "varied" rates in your daily production is because every TRACERT doesn't take the same amount of time to complete.

Me doing a TRACERT on a computer two houses away may not take as long, say 3 hops from my comp, to my isp, to their isp, to their comp.

Me doing a TRACERT to a computer in Japan however lands me a hop to my ISP, to another "internet" cluster that handles major internet traffic, to a computer in Japan, to an ISP, and finally to that computer I'm TRACERTing.

You can sit around all day and get smaller measurements and have more of them. So some days you are getting IPs that have to perform less hops. And this all varies from person to person due to location.

:)

-Jeff

PCZ
05-06-2005, 06:22 PM
I feel limited by the lack of a linux client :D

Remember I do have a PXE farm :jester:

CaptainMooseInc
05-06-2005, 07:24 PM
wait...there is no Java for linux or is it that the Java for Linux doesn't support DIMES?

-Jeff

PCZ
05-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Yes there is java for linux.
Dimes only uses java for the GUI.

The pings and traceroutes are not done in java so a linux program will need to be written to do that.