PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server, Linux client in FaD ?

rsbriggs
05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Assuming that I have an FaD server running under Windows, servicing a number of Windows clients nodes (which I do).

I'd like to do a linux FaD install and have that client connect to that already running server. How difficult is this???

Scootenalongnow
05-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Inquiring minds would like to know.

jasong
05-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Scootenalongnow
Inquiring minds would like to know.

I'd like to know, too.What the heck, other than the quote it won't post. Maybe this time?

PCZ
05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Lets get this straight.

You have a windows server running fad which has a number of windows clients.
You want to also serve linux clients.

Yes you can do this.

You need the linux executable.
think
note: no extension

You can get this by installing the linux client and copying the file to the windows servers fad directory.

Now the linux clients have to be able to get to the fad share on the windows box.

There are 2 ways to do this

1: Set up an smbmount on the linux boxes.
2: Export the fad directory via NFS from the windows server {more tricky not recommended}

The combination of windows fad server and linux clients is problematic and doesn't work well.
Basically the linux clients keep stopping.

Think has made some changes in 1.30a that may help in this regard but tests I have done showed the problem still remained.

The windows fad server is much easier to manage and if I could all my fad clients be they windows or nix would run on one.

As it stands though the combination of windows fad server and linux clients is to flakey to use.

A linux server with windows clients works well though :D

Scootenalongnow
05-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
A linux server with windows clients works well though :D

Thanks PCZ, this did not fall on deaf ears!