PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't high-n sieving start at the beginning?

jasong
05-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Maybe I'm confused:

I asked about high-n sieve reservations and the person said do it the normal way. But my definition of the normal way is to reserve at the end of the 1-20M reservation thread which, in my opinion, would cause us to miss a TON of factors.

Am I missing something?

Keroberts1
05-12-2005, 01:34 AM
no for most sievers that is the right thing ot do. This allows you to continue to find regular factors for 1-20 million. There are a few users working on catching the 20-50 million factors up to the rest and by the time the project reaches 20,000,000 digit tests they will be caught up to approximatly where the rest of the sieve is now. However if the sieve continues to run with only the 1-20 million dat. then it will pull further away and will never get caught.

jasong
05-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Keroberts1
no for most sievers that is the right thing ot do. This allows you to continue to find regular factors for 1-20 million. There are a few users working on catching the 20-50 million factors up to the rest and by the time the project reaches 20,000,000 digit tests they will be caught up to approximatly where the rest of the sieve is now. However if the sieve continues to run with only the 1-20 million dat. then it will pull further away and will never get caught.
Thanks. I downloaded the new .dat and started over at the beginning. Maybe 24 hours wasted, no big deal.