IronBits
05-29-2002, 09:08 PM
http://www.dbestern.net/images/df-ascii-art.jpg

Moogie
06-07-2002, 06:32 PM
WOW!:thumbs:

Jodie
06-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Four + hours on a 1.13G Mobile P3/512M and it's still stuck!

May never finish...

pointwood
06-11-2002, 10:15 AM
The secret trick is to make the window bigger ;)

http://www.ramskov.org/df1.jpg

IronBits
08-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Pointwood, you need glasses :D

runestar
08-21-2002, 06:51 PM
The proteins seem to work out best when you set the display to 80x50. I haven't noticed any advantage setting it beyond 50 lines.

The current one although very fast, doesn't get very complex. Mine were taken from the month-long one. I managed to catch those three. Lately I've been using dfGUI to hid the window though.

Best,

RS½
PBB

pointwood
08-22-2002, 06:08 AM
Damn you IB! :p

Besides, I'm already using glasses - maybe a telescope :confused: :D

runestar
08-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Just because it looked interesting... =)

RipItUp
08-25-2002, 03:44 PM
http://www.aocb77.dsl.pipex.com/art.jpg

runestar
08-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Wow, you got lucky. I haven't seen any near that complex with the current one although I haven't been watching as much.

RS½
PBB

runestar
09-07-2002, 12:03 AM
I have returned with the Third...

RS½
PBB

muttley
09-29-2002, 03:05 AM
what speed processors do u have?

RaginSteveK
10-02-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by runestar½
I have returned with the Third...

RS½
PBB

saw a Navajo blanket lookin sumthin like that..;)

runestar
10-02-2002, 04:49 AM
I'll be damned... it does look like a navajo blanket design. :)

RS½

Tyrfang
10-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Okay...so I'm new and know nothing. This gets me one free stupid question...how do you get such big molecules????

:jester:

FoBoT
10-04-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Tyrfang
..how do you get such big molecules????

get lucky

every structure generated is totally random
so one minute you might get a tiny piece of garbage, next minute lady luck shines on you and you get a big whopper that takes many minutes to complete, those are the "good" ones, or better ones anyway

Tyrfang
10-04-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT

get lucky

every structure generated is totally random
so one minute you might get a tiny piece of garbage, next minute lady luck shines on you and you get a big whopper that takes many minutes to complete, those are the "good" ones, or better ones anyway

Wow! I'll wait with baited breath for one of those monsters. :)

Here's hoping one drops my way soon.

muttley
10-04-2002, 11:33 PM
I asked what speed processor because I think that this large stuff is producecd by low speed processors. They tick off ascii indicating they are working however slow the processor and the processor takes a forever so more ascii. I rarely get much with 1.6 to 2.0 ghz processors. Then I had better be waiting and fast on the screen capture.

muttley

Jodie
10-05-2002, 01:28 AM
That doesn't seem right... It appears as I watch it that each time it counts an AA it creates the "path" and the AA. If it gets 'stuck' and has to backtrack - that's when you see lots'a paths.

But I may be misobserving.

Tyrfang
10-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by muttley
I asked what speed processor because I think that this large stuff is producecd by low speed processors. They tick off ascii indicating they are working however slow the processor and the processor takes a forever so more ascii. I rarely get much with 1.6 to 2.0 ghz processors. Then I had better be waiting and fast on the screen capture.

muttley

Funny you should mention that. I was noticing myself that my Celeron 333 draws much larger molecules than either of my PIII 800, or my P4 1.6

Wonder if that's the key?

Brian the Fist
10-05-2002, 11:37 AM
The size, as Jodie says, depends only on how much backtracking occurs. The ASCII protien takes one step for every AA it places, plus an extra step when it backtracks (but still steps forwards on your screen). So doesn't matter how fast or slow, just how much backtracking it does.

runestar
10-05-2002, 12:24 PM
The reason it may seem a slower CPU does it more is that it takes more time for the little colored worm to get around your screen so you're more likely to catch her when she's confused. =)

RS½

P.S. maybe Howard can make a nibbles game out of it! Has nothing to do with the project but might sure be fun as heck...LOL

Tyrfang
10-06-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by runestar½
The reason it may seem a slower CPU does it more is that it takes more time for the little colored worm to get around your screen so you're more likely to catch her when she's confused. =)

RS½

P.S. maybe Howard can make a nibbles game out of it! Has nothing to do with the project but might sure be fun as heck...LOL

Well here's hoping for a confused worm:thumbs:

I keep looking every once in a while to see, but so far my worms have all been trailblazers.

wirthi
10-06-2002, 11:56 AM
I keep looking every once in a while to see, but so far my worms have all been trailblazers.

All of the screenshots shown are of proteins folded in the past; Some of those proteins them were more eager to fill the screen with nice graphs then the last few ones. So it's almost impossible to view such screenshots with the current protein.

Tyrfang
10-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by wirthi

All of the screenshots shown are of proteins folded in the past; Some of those proteins them were more eager to fill the screen with nice graphs then the last few ones. So it's almost impossible to view such screenshots with the current protein.

Guess I can stop waiting with baited breath then...Man now I'll have to go back to work just for something to do!

Paratima
10-06-2002, 03:00 PM
The phrase is "with bated breath". It means "anxiously". :rolleyes:

Tyrfang
10-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Hmmm...I see you are correct. Bated as an archaic contraction of abated...almost out of breath with extreme anticipation. At least I didn't misuse the metaphor.

Tyrfang
10-07-2002, 09:13 PM
Hmmm...I see you are correct. Bated as an archaic contraction of abated...almost out of breath with extreme anticipation. At least I didn't misuse the metaphor.

Hehehe...I got one!

Ander
11-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Hi, fellow folders,

Tonight my Folding client seemed to go crazy, drawing a protein that filled its screen. I was sure it was a bug, and was ready to report it.

Then I peeked in here and saw all the outrageously big proteins. (Mine was only about 1/3 as big as that biggest one.) Thanks for the reassurance.

By the way: If you like wacky, scientific-looking computer graphics (and don't we all?), take a look at the new, free screensaver I just wrote. It's compatible with the DOS Folding client.

Retro Sci-Fi Screensaver
http://24.76.229.52/andy/index.htm

Cheers, Ander

runestar
11-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Ander

By the way: If you like wacky, scientific-looking computer graphics (and don't we all?), take a look at the new, free screensaver I just wrote. It's compatible with the DOS Folding client.

Retro Sci-Fi Screensaver

Cheers, Ander

COOL. Now only you get it do something with DF. =)

RS½

Ander
11-24-2002, 04:04 PM
Hey, that's a great idea---a meaninglessly-busy sci-fi-movie-style interface for DF! I'm up for it. I always thought the DF screensaver made too much sense.

runestar
11-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Yeah, add just a little sense with a whole load of nonsense related to the DF client. Better yet, maybe different themes... heh. =)

Best,

RS½

runestar
12-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Ander

Retro Sci-Fi Screensaver

Cheers, Ander

Your website location is refusing connections.

Ander
12-12-2002, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I know [sigh].. Server problems. I've gone through two of 'em now. It should be back online in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants a copy, email me: ander5151 at the domain of yahoo.com. Be advised that the setup file is 1.2 MB, which swells to 1.6 MB as an email attachment.

runestar
12-21-2002, 12:10 AM
Now its saying you aren't even on their servers! =/

RS½

Microbe
12-25-2002, 05:26 AM
I love my retro sci-fi screen saver SO much I won't tell others where I got it!

Just kidding.

It is great

:thumbs:

Microbe

RipItUp
02-03-2003, 04:24 PM
http://www.aocb77.dsl.pipex.com/asciart2.jpg

matrix_fan
02-04-2003, 03:05 PM
How do you get them this big????

matrix_fan
02-04-2003, 03:07 PM
and what does ASCII stand for??Is there soem kind of special client i need to download???

Paratima
02-04-2003, 08:11 PM
How do you get them this big????You adjust the size of the command-line box that the client is running in. The client will use all the area of the box it finds itself running in.

and what does ASCII stand for??Is there soem kind of special client i need to download??? ASCII is just the text encoding --- actually stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange. :rolleyes: And it includes many shapes (such as these) as well as letters & numbers. This can be produced by any of the clients listed on the DF download page EXCEPT the screensaver.

Many of us hard-core types don't run with this stuff being displayed 'cause it slows down the processing somewhat. Or only do it on one or two machines out of many.

matrix_fan
02-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info, now you said i could turn the graphics off to speed it up some ,how can i do that on the command line version?

Paratima
02-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Stick -qt somewhere on the command line that starts the client, foldtrajlite. That's in the foldit or foldit.bat file. Stands for "set Quiet mode to True", or words to that effect. ;) Enjoy!

matrix_fan
02-05-2003, 09:54 AM
They thingies aren't gettign any bigger when i make the window bigger,and when i put qt in the tag it just freezes my computer :(

Paratima
02-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Ahhhh! You've given it room to roam. NOW you just have to wait for a big one to come along. The ultimate size of the design depends upon the amount of backtracking the algorithm does. Different for each fold attempt. Ya just has ta wait.

I said -qt with a - in front of it.

RTFM, right here (http://www.distributedfolding.org/readmeclient.html) ! :p