PDA

View Full Version : Reduce CPU Usage?

DrkNexus
05-17-2005, 04:42 AM
I know that a request like this is unlikely to be followed up at this point in time, but I had to try. I like the idea of contributing in a distributed project. I don't like the idea of baking my CPUs at full speed for extended periods of time. Is there a way, or could there be a way, to convince DHEP to use a user definable maximum percentage of CPU cycles?

ace_dent
05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm sure I've seen third-party apps available freely on the internet to limit the CPU usage for selectable programs. I don't see that this needs to be built into the client. As an immediate suggestion, remove the '-server' switch (if you use it), which will run DHEP without CPU optimizations... you should notice reduced CPU temperatures.

DrkNexus
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I have seen those programs as well, but most of them claim to do their work by executing a non-heat producing cycle (like a NOOP), but every time I've tried one I have noticed that my fan still responds like the CPU is under heavy load. If it were built into the client it would be more reasonable to run the client on portable devices, as many portable devices, such as laptops, only turn on/speed up CPU fans when they are needed.