PDA

View Full Version : All Free DC Windose boxen owners lend me your ears

Fozzie
05-18-2005, 05:09 PM
If you aren't running at least one Dimes node then what are you waiting for??

Pop one in and help Free Dc stay in our rightful position as number 1 DC team.

The great thing is like Chessbrain before you can run it alongside your favourite DC project.

Yes 2 DC projects at the same time, 2 sets of stats to look at, 2 sets of roadkills to trash talk about.

What could be better, well this could because the project has a pretty good objective too.

So if you can deal with a few beta bugs and want to hit the high time with Free Dc pop it ona box or 10.

PY 222
05-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Its such a shame that they don't have a Linux client or else I would have been able to mount an assult for PCZ's chair.

Oh well, I guess Windoze it is.

Everyone that has a Windoze based box, go ahead and try out this project. There's some nice graphs for you to look at, almost real-time stats that breaks from time to time and you can run this alongside your favourite project.

Only drawback is that you'll need to install Java, if you don't have it already on your box to run this project. :trash:

FluffyChicken
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Just to add.

- If you don't have broadband I wouldn't bother.
- If you pay for your connection after a certain amount I also wouldn't bother as you'll likely go over it (assuming your limits lowish, the client can currently use upto ~20MB/day v0.4client)

But if your borrowing it via next door Wi-Fi that is totaly unsecure then go for it :bouncy:
( or of course if you have your own broadband setup with no silly restrictions :D )

And a linux client is on it's way
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/danss/p2p/dimes-linux/dimes_index.html

em99010pepe
05-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Today I restarted Dimes on two machines.

Carlos

PY 222
05-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
Today I restarted Dimes on two machines.

Carlos

Was there a specific reason why you restarted it?

em99010pepe
05-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by PY 222
Was there a specific reason why you restarted it?

I would like to know how fast this new version is and also how much bandwith it consumes. If it starts eating my bandwith limit then I am out.

Carlos

PS(Nothing to do with Fozzie)

alpha
05-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by FluffyChicken
or of course if you have your own broadband setup with no silly restrictions :D

I dream of the day. :)

This project is a no go for me, firstly because I don't really see the point in it. Secondly, I have fairly slow broadband with monthly download limitations. This is a fairly popular concept amongst UK broadband ISPs.

If anybody is thinking of moving to the UK, this is a big advertisement for why you shouldn't. ;)

FluffyChicken
05-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Both the UK companies I've used don't have restrictions :-)

NTL don't (they say they do but I've been over it many times just for fun)
And Karoo who have no such limits. (which I'm using now as I've moved)

em99010pepe
05-21-2005, 06:35 AM
I also have download limits. International and national!

Until January 2005

Connection: 512 D and 128 U
Internacional limit: 4 GB
Nacional limit: 40 GB

January-June 2005 (First Upgrade)

Connection: 1024 D and 256 U
Nacional limit: 40 GB

June 20 2005 ( Second upgrade)

Connection: 4096 D and 256 U
Nacional limit: unlimited

So my download speed has increased for the last months but my internacional download limit is the same. Conclusion is that I will reach quicker to my internacional limit! I pay 45 Euros per month.

Carlos

alpha
05-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by FluffyChicken
Both the UK companies I've used don't have restrictions :-)

Well, I use a BT Broadband package which claims has a 15GB/month download limit, but when I signed up in 2004 it said in the small print that the limitations would not be enforced until 2005. I'm not sure if the limit is in place now or not, I'm not hitting it if so.

FluffyChicken
05-21-2005, 11:26 AM
NTL have a greater leway as it's there own network (and who just moved out of the place they are trialling ADSL2 :rolleyes: )

and Karro is part of Kingston Internet, which is afaik the only place BT doesn't own the telephone lines. So they can do what they want as well.

But then there's no cometition in the KC area :( but that also means they don't have do err compete on price and restrictions.

Well not yet, I'm sure they find a way :swear: