PDA

View Full Version : Linux sieving for a Linux n00b

jasong
05-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I won a "new" computer on the 14th and it's set to arrive sometime tomorrow, it's an XP2000(don't know the actual GHz, yet).

I'm going to install Linux on it and use it solely as a cruncher. Once everything's installed, I'm hoping to communicate with through my Windows computer, hopefully using my Windows computer as a server if I switch to a applicable project. Anyway I have some questions:

After I install Fedora Project 1(I'm going to use another forum for this), I need to know the following(in no particular order:

(1) What is the sieving speed for an XP2000 running the 50M .dat?

(2) What is the best program to communicate with my node Linuxiso.org says that Fedora core 3 has what I need, I don't know about core #1.

(3) I need advice on installing and tracking my progress. Can Sobistrator work with a Linux box?

(4) Anything else you want to add.

jasong
12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Okay, I'm back after all these months, and I want to give someone a second chance to actually reply to the thread.

Come on, there have to some people out there who sieve on Linux and know how it works.

hhh
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't know much more than Jack about Linix, but I put copys of the sieve client to different directories, sshed the other computer in a terminal, and started the client via commandline. Perhaps the worst way to do it, but it works.
In case you don't know how to start a program (the first time one tries always takes an hour of search on the internet, it's

./programsname

Well, sorry not to be able to help you more... There are some attributes you can put after your command, so that the program is executed on the computer independently of your terminal and ssh-connection, but I forgot them (It was one of those: !"§%&$/(=)(§/&) If you find out which it was, let me know.

In order to to watch your threads, try the command

It's one of my favorites.

That's all... Yours H.

jasong
12-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks, hhh, but, actually, my concern had to do with how factors are handled. I'm afraid to go the totally manual route(well, maybe 'afraid' is too strong a word). I was hoping for some scripts that a reasonably intelligent person could edit(as opposed to building from scratch, which is much harder). Something that would track what was turned in, how many factors, possibly keep track of points, etc.

dudlio
12-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Jasong, I had your exact setup a couple years ago. I was running Windows on one machine, Linux on the other, and sieving both.

My experience was that the manual method is not so bad. You put the range in a textfile, start the client and off you go. You can let it run for a couple of days with only a single command to type in. You can stop the client with ctrl+C and restart it with no data loss.

Mattford's reservations website keeps track of your ranges & the status of each. If you want to know how many factors you found, you can check your account at Matt's site. So, I'm not sure what scripts you really need.

If you have linux up and running now, then reserve a range, start the client, and see how it goes.

Reservations: http://limend.plus.com/~matt/sob/

dudlio
12-15-2006, 08:04 PM
If you don't have linux up and running, I recommend the kubuntu CD. It will boot and run linux from the CD before you even install it to your hard drive. Very slick. I'm just running Windows now but I'll be getting back into Linux in a few weeks.

jasong
12-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for helping me dudlio, sorry for the late response. Okay, quick question that may put my concerns to rest:

If you resubmit factors that have already been submitted, how much trouble can that cause?

KWSN_Dagger
12-26-2006, 02:58 AM
AFAIK it doesn't cause any trouble, as factors that are the same don't get counted.

jasong
12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Second question: Does anyone have any experience with sr2sieve? As in, do you know if the Linux version is faster than Proth Sieve?

dudlio
12-28-2006, 06:18 AM
No, I haven't tried it yet.

stim
01-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I hadn't heard of sr2sieve before, but did a small benchmark (i.e. let it run for a couple of hours with nothing else going) to see how they compared.

For me on my AMD64 3000+, I actually got around 50-100 kps faster using JJsieve through wine than using sr2sieve. YMMV.

jasong
01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I hadn't heard of sr2sieve before, but did a small benchmark (i.e. let it run for a couple of hours with nothing else going) to see how they compared.

For me on my AMD64 3000+, I actually got around 50-100 kps faster using JJsieve through wine than using sr2sieve. YMMV.
If you guys don't mind, I'd appreciate it if those of you who are already Mersenne forum members( http://www.mersenneforum.org/ ) would go to the base-5 forum(that's where sr2sieve started, as a sub-project) and volunteer to run it for 5-10 minutes at a time. Maybe we can get a faster client than JJSieve, if the programmer sees a lot of enthusiasm.

The thread of interest is the one with 'sr2sieve' in the name.

Note: You don't need to reserve ranges, you can pick a range already sieved and use it for testing purposes.

jasong
06-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Do I need a new password for the sieving, or can I use my Free-DC account?

Joe O
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Do I need a new password for the sieving, or can I use my Free-DC account?
If you mean this account, (http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/users/user.mhtml?userID=9458)then you are good to go, to submit on this page. (http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/)