PDA

View Full Version : How to let the auto-updater do its job.

Scott Jensen
05-30-2002, 01:46 PM
No sooner do I get the email notification of a new DF client version than the DF website can no longer be visited. Apparently, lots of people are on the ball here for those update notifications. However, I would recommend that you not send out version update notifications until after the time the average cruncher (running a computer with the minimum requirements to participate in DF) would normally take to send in 5,000 units. This way the auto-updater will HOPEFULLY have taken care of most of the clients and thus there won't be a flood of people trying to download it. In the email notification, you could then tell them this (that likely their client has already been updated) and to check that it has, they need only look for a version number on their screensaver/blackbox window. Perhaps for the blackbox client it would be: "Version 1.06 folding..." instead of just "Folding...". Not sure what would be a good change for the screensaver since I don't run it.

Naturally, if the cruncher's client isn't displaying the new version number, they should be given a link to a webpage where they can get the new version. A webpage that shouldn't be accessible until AFTER the email notification has been sent out thus hopefully most updates have been done automatically. Also, put at least a traffic counter on that download link so you know how many didn't get their client programs auto-updated. Possibly even have some little program on that link that could help you identify who's having problems so you can possibly get some clue why theirs didn't. Also send them an automated email asking them why they think theirs didn't auto-update. Some possible choices on that survey could be:

( ) There appears to be some problem getting my client to auto-update. [List the "usual suspects" for them to checkbox select from.]
( ) My computer likely wasn't able to work on it fast enough due to it running other higher-priority programs at the time.
( ) I had my computer off for a while.
( ) I was experiencing problems connecting to the internet.
( ) I haven't a clue.

Also, it probably would be a good idea to do a little survey of what kind of hardware and software they have. Doing this might point out that, for example, all those running Win98 experienced auto-updating problems.