PDA

View Full Version : Welcome, umm, Free-DC !

rsbriggs
06-05-2005, 02:21 PM
A big welcome to Free-DC_xx, whomsoever you might be.... :thumbs: The help is much appreciated !!!

rsbriggs
06-05-2005, 03:23 PM
And good job on the factor ! That was quick !!!

MonsterMan
06-06-2005, 12:33 AM
For some reason I have a feeling that FreeDC_xxx is Ironbits. IB is that you??

IronBits
06-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Don't think so, haven't run prime95 for a long time...
Crap, didn't even have it installed anywhere to get a copy of the setup...
Downloaded latest version from the project page - says Version 23.8.1

Installed it on an FX55 and a Dual Xeon 2.6GHz ... Both doing LL w/256mb 24/7
IronBits, IronBits_x2 and IronBits_x21

Let's see how this goes...
Of course, I'll need my stats in a few days... ;)

I saw a post about running a seperate copy in another directory...
I turned off HT in the bios,
set the 1st instance to use cpu 0,
set the 2nd instance to use cpu 1,
Used task manager and set affinity to match the above
set priority to below_normal.

Hope I done good.

MonsterMan
06-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Sounds good, but...

Use ver. 24.11. You can find it here (http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3934) . That FX55 is 64 bit, isn't it?? If you are running a 64 bit OS, use the 64 bit version. It will give you added speed for both AMD and 64 bit processors.

It really isn't beta, though it says it is.

Also, the only way to use HT is if one client is set to an LL test and the other to trial factoring. Anything else and the memory bus slows everything down.

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Hey IB,

When you finish up those LL tests next month, switch over to trial factoring... :D

Under Options->Preferences set the days between sending new end dates to 1 - that'll update your expected completion dates once-per-day....

Under Test->Primenet you only want the first and last checkboxes marked, "Use Primenet..." and "Request numbers to factor". You can set the "have this many days queued up" in the middle of that box to "1".

IronBits
06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
That didn't work with the dual xeon, so stopped both and restarted _x2 and let it have both processors.
I think I prefer SOB over this client so far...

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
This client is one of the oldest around - maybe older than dnet.

Hasn't had much of a facelift, since, well, ever....

I've pretty much talked myself into just running one instance on dual processors, and doing something else on the other proc. It seems to want to install itself as a service, and gives me a bunch of error messages when I attempt run a second instance.

So, I'm pretty much just running one instance per machine. I'm probably going to reassign the HT Xeons to have a prime95, eon, FaD, and sob running - one assigned per proc.

Or something. I sure hate to chop things up like that.....
:looney: :looney: :looney: :looney: :looney: :looney: :looney: :looney:

MonsterMan
06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Guys, a second, third or fourth client should be installed in a different directory. The other way of doing it, is to rename each executable.

Like prime95.exe is number one, prime952.exe is number two, prime953.exe is number three and so forth.

But the safest is to make different directories. This way you can set affinity.

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Did the separate directories. Didn't rename the executable, however. Let me give that a try tonight.

Started prime95 out of first directory (doing an LL test). Started prime95 out of second directory doing TF - got some sort of error message about invalid service...

Tonight I'll try doing an LL and prime test on each HT proc, setting different affinity for prime95-1, prime95-2, prime95-3, prime95-4.

Should be able to do 2 LL's and 2 TF's on each of the dual Xeons, although I'd prefer running 4 TF's.....

MonsterMan
06-06-2005, 02:32 PM
You can't set Prime as a service for this to work. Also, only one executable can be set to "Start at Bootup", the rest need a desktop icon or other shortcut.

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Ahh - must be the "start at bootup" that I missed somewhere. So far as I know I didn't do anything to set it to run as a service.

Where are these settings hiding, anyway?

MonsterMan
06-07-2005, 01:33 AM
Open the GUI then go to "Options".

The run as a service depends on which software package you downloaded.

IronBits
06-07-2005, 01:54 AM
I gave up on it. Sorry guys :(
Good luck! :cheers:
back to RC5 until I run out of current cache of WUs ....
then turning everything off for awhile.