PDA

View Full Version : How does the scoring work?

rsbriggs
06-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I just watched a rather hefty processor (AMD 2900+) spend well over three hours crunching a single job. On other processors, some jobs just seem to zip by in a matter of a few seconds...

Is the scoring per completed job, or is it done some other way??

Mustard
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
While the 3 hour thing isn't impossible, it is really rare... As Graeme has said in the past, these systems take little detours depending on where the results take them. Every work unit isn't the same, and as the effort progresses, you can end up with a quickie or a longie! :) I've had some go ten or fifteen minutes but sure haven't had a 3 hour thing that I'm aware of anyway.

em99010pepe
06-11-2005, 12:38 PM
rsbriggs,

Pay attention to a line that says HSIZE. You will see that some wu's are greater than others.
Almost forgetting, check this thread (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8762&highlight=hsize).

Carlos

rsbriggs
06-11-2005, 01:57 PM
The Hsize for that job was 15,375

Most of my jobs run around 9....

Mustard
06-11-2005, 02:46 PM
holy cow.............. a really big one huh??? :)

rsbriggs
06-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I think it was big enough to cause their server problems, since I couldn't get much of anything - except timeouts - to happen on any of my clients after that one finished....

rcoulter
06-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Don't believe I have ever had a job that took longer than 30 minutes, but never had a HSize anywhere near that size that I remember.

Oh, and nice to have you crunching on this projrct or awhile.

Randy

rsbriggs
06-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Well thanks. I've kind of set my eye on 5th place on the team. :D

What the heck does Lexx run?? I think I have 15 machines going now, but he's cranking out 7 times what I do in a day....

Humph. My production should pick up some as some other jobs finish off, hopefully. I do have to admit that many of the machines I've fired this up on are still a little bogged down finishing off some LHC@BOINC work....

And, I just couldn't resist jumping in and helping to stomp USD..... :cheers: :elephant:

rcoulter
06-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Okay, you have something wrong. I only have the Athlons in the 2500+ plus range running on this project and I'am getting almost the same production.

With 17 systems you should be 4 or 5 times higher or about 10 to 15,000 a day unless they are really slow computers or you are running multiple projects.

As stated running Linux or Windows has little effect, nor does using AMD or Intel have much of a difference.

As for taking 5th place, that would be fine since I have now moved to 4th.:D

Randy

rcoulter
06-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Sorry I'am tried. That should be THREE Athlons not the.

Should read before sending.

Randy

Mustard
06-12-2005, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
Well thanks. I've kind of set my eye on 5th place on the team. :D

What the heck does Lexx run?? I think I have 15 machines going now, but he's cranking out 7 times what I do in a day....

So you want me to give out my trade secrets huh????? :)

The basic secret of eon is frequency. Break out your old tbred xp2400's and xp2600's in particular. They are cheap, run great. Of course amd64-3200's grind great too. :) But they sure cost a lot more. I use linux, slackware, no Xwindows installed. Just gutted down slackware in plain old text mode. They say that windows runs as fast, but my xp2200's don't show that, I have one on linux and one on windows. Same motherboards, mem, etc. While it's hard to tell as there isn't a way to calibrate the things to run the same work units, the linux system seems to consistently complete the units faster than the windows box. Most of my climbing up has been with 17 systems, 15 of them are xp's, one is a celeron "D" and one is a HT 2.4c Intel. One xp2200 on W2K, everything else on slackware. I also run the ext3 filesystem on my linux crunchers. No overclocking on any of them.

My internet connection is a 1.5m dsl line.

rsbriggs
06-12-2005, 02:56 AM
OK - thanks for the info everyone.
I'll see if I can't start climbing the ladder a little faster....

em99010pepe
06-12-2005, 04:25 AM
rsbriggs,

If you have windows machines use the command line instead of the GUI. To me seems faster.

Carlos

rsbriggs
06-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks Carlos.

Actually I already do that. I use TightVNC to control a lot of my network and for some strange reason, the EON GUI clients are completely invisible to it. So, I only run the command-line version which allows me to see and control things...

Silverthorne
12-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
Thanks Carlos.

Actually I already do that. I use TightVNC to control a lot of my network and for some strange reason, the EON GUI clients are completely invisible to it. So, I only run the command-line version which allows me to see and control things...

This is also a problem when using Ultravnc.