PDA

View Full Version : Orbit@Home

willebenn
06-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Here's a new BOINC project just starting.
They don't have any client's yet.
If you might be interested in testing now would be the time to get onboard.

orbit (http://orbit.psi.edu)

Bok
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
I can't even tell what it's supposed to be about ??

Unless I totally missed a link somewhere :crazy:

Bok

Mustard
06-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Looks like another thing sponsored by an institution of higher learning.... But like you, can't find out much...... maybe it's about the orbits of the astroids or megatroids or.... :)

rsbriggs
06-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Google is always your friend...

Orbit is trying to make sure we have lots of notification of "Ellies" -
Extinction Level Events - by doing the calculations on impact hazards of NEOS:

A Distributed Computing system is under development, based on the ORSA framework and on the BOINC platform. The basic idea is that the computations needed to monitor the impact hazard posed by Near Earth Objects can be distributed over a big number of clients. ORSA provides the numerical library needed to propagate the orbit of the NEOs, while BOINC provides the system to distribute work units, collect the results and perform many other tasks.

Here's a link:
http://orsa.sourceforge.net/atwork.html

IMHO, this is one of the most worthwhile projects that could possibly be done, and I've always wondered why something like it wasn't being done. This project could have a direct impact on the survival of all life on Earth as we know it.

willebenn
06-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Sorry I didn't post more info. Here is a snip from their forum by the project leader.

Let's start with this easy question. Orbit@home is a project based on BOINC and ORSA, monitoring the orbit of all the asteroids passing near the Earth. Every time a new asteroid is discovered or re-observed, the orbit of the asteroid is updated and propagated in future to check for possible impacts with the Earth.

As bigger and better telescopes are built, the number of orbits to update every day increases, so more computing power is needed in order to do it. It is at this point that the distributed computing philosophy enters and helps doing the work. The basic idea is the following: each different client can work with the data relative to a single asteroid, because there is no correlation between asteroids (excluding extremely rare cases, like asteroid-asteroid impact or gravitational perturbation; both these cases can be handled in an improved version of orbit@home). If the number of clients available is greater than the number of orbits to update (times a redundancy factor), it is possible in principle to update all the orbits in the same time needed by a single computer to update a single orbit. This is what makes the orbit@home project so appealing.
______

It does sound like a very interesting project and could be very useful.

Mustard
06-17-2005, 12:01 PM
I signed up.

rsbriggs
06-17-2005, 12:33 PM
You can use this link to create an account and join Free-DC:

http://orbit.psi.edu/create_account_form.php?teamid=36

I see that PCZ beat me to creating a Free-DC team - don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

willebenn
06-17-2005, 02:42 PM
WOW that was fast.
We have a project forum and a team. :cheers:
Now we need some clients to test before everyone gets bored and goes away.

Angus
06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
DOH!

Guess I should read more closely - I was looking for the client.

I'm in!

This one should be interesting - I really like what they're doing. It's a little math, a little astronomy, and potentially a "good thing". Much more productiive than searching for LGM.

Oh- while we're on the topic of new teams, I set one up for the new SETI-BOINC beta client which is Astropulse-revisited. I'll post a link in the proper place.

black_civic55
06-17-2005, 09:56 PM
never posted that i was in but yup im in too

Mustard
06-18-2005, 12:53 AM
Well good ..... when they start getting stuff ready, whoever sees it should post something here to alert everyone.

Fozzie
06-19-2005, 08:06 AM
ready to go when there is something to go with.

:fozzie:

Angus
06-19-2005, 12:51 PM
They don't expect to have clients or work until late July or later.

First client out will be for x86 *nix

This thread (http://orbit.psi.edu/forum_thread.php?id=13#258)

Mustard
06-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Angus
First client out will be for x86 *nix

This threaad (http://orbit.psi.edu/forum_thread.php?id=13#258)

Must be a good project coming up!!!!!! :cheers:

Angus
06-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I think it's a very worthwhile project.

There is some concern that the WUs will have very short deadlines - only days or even hours, if they are working an 'urgent' projectile heading toward us.

That should throw the new scheduler into a mode that many people won't like! The dreaded "EDF" (Earliest Deadline First) mode - where all other work is stopped until the impending deadline WU is done.

Mustard
06-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Well they should be looking at another system then besides boinc. Boinc doesn't seem to have a track record for getting much done quickly... heh heh

willebenn
08-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Here is an update on this project in case you don't visit the project site..

August 29, 2005
Orbit@Home Project Update: we are testing the scientific application, and adding the few more features needed in order to make it completely automatic. This first version of the scientific application will be able to determine the orbit of any asteroid, using only the astrometric observations. After completing our tests, we plan to generate work units and test it on orbit@home, hopefully within 2-3 weeks from now.
At the same time, since the BOINC team has recently introduced a number of new features, we will sync the orbit@home code to the latest BOINC version and fix all the related problems.

PCZ
08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
There is some concern that the WUs will have very short deadlines - only days or even hours, if they are working an 'urgent' projectile heading toward us.

If it's heading my way then can use as much of my CPU power as they want, when they want and for as long as they want. :D

Bok
08-30-2005, 09:02 AM
:rotfl:

Too true...

Bok

PY 222
08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
If it's heading my way then can use as much of my CPU power as they want, when they want and for as long as they want. :D

For sure man! I'll definitely put everything I've got on it. :jester:

Lets just pray that it'll never come to that.

Mustard
08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
The problem is that they won't know any of that until they get the orbit worked out................. :jester: So stand ready to lose lots of urgent cycles! :) heh

willebenn
08-30-2005, 02:19 PM
As long as they have enough time to get Bruce Willis and his Asteriod busters out to meet and destroy anything, that works for me. :jester:

black_civic55
09-09-2005, 12:40 AM
BOINC Synergy site someone mentioned that oribt will be releasing work for linux within the next few hours. Some one might want to get a head start on that!!

PCZ
09-09-2005, 04:09 AM
A few WU's got sent out and there were a couple of problems.
They ironed out the bugs pretty quick and there will be some more WU's tommorrow.

BTW
I have been looking forward to this one starting up.
Hope there is some work for the weekend.

Chuck
09-09-2005, 04:53 AM
I can't compute the volume that you can PCZ, but I can turn around WU's really fast (.16 days on P@H with a 3-day queue setting in my prefs which I can shorten to whatever you need me to). .... I'm running in 32 bit mode right now only using default (blah) compile.

Please PM or email me if you need the raw speed and any slots open up.

Also, a little help with a 64 bit linux (FC4) self-compiled client to speed along the perf would be appreciated.

I tried it and didn'thave much luck.. might be FC4, might be me.

PM's and re-direction to appropriate forum topic appreciated.

Chuck

willebenn
09-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Have been trying to get some work but I guess they haven't awoke yet in Arizona to gen/release anything.

Bok
09-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, me too,

hopefully in a couple of hours it will kick in :)

Bok

black_civic55
09-09-2005, 10:11 AM
if this helps for you linux people

First application now available, for the i686-pc-linux-gnu platform only. We are generating WUs, and of course we are noticing a lot of problems, as expected. Please report any problem, using the forums.

dunno if thats a reason some of you arent getting work

Bok
09-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
I can't compute the volume that you can PCZ, but I can turn around WU's really fast (.16 days on P@H with a 3-day queue setting in my prefs which I can shorten to whatever you need me to). .... I'm running in 32 bit mode right now only using default (blah) compile.

Please PM or email me if you need the raw speed and any slots open up.

Also, a little help with a 64 bit linux (FC4) self-compiled client to speed along the perf would be appreciated.

I tried it and didn'thave much luck.. might be FC4, might be me.

PM's and re-direction to appropriate forum topic appreciated.

Chuck

Why can't you run a 64bit version?

I compiled the boinc client just fine under 64bit Gentoo.

Or are you talking about the native client running under boinc?

What happened to the 64bit Suse that was donated to you anyway?

Bok

Bok
09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm running an Orbit wu right now!!!!!!!!!!

Bok :thumbs:

Fozzie
09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Grr :swear:

Bok
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Fozzie
Grr :swear:

Linux x86 only remember for now...and I only got it on one of 4 machines attached. Might not be working properly either.. we'll see

Bok

PCZ
09-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Sweet (http://orbit.psi.edu/top_users.php)

Bok
09-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Nice!

So, your's finished ok ?

Mine just hung boinc up after 30 mins or so. Seemed to be running ok, then I noticed boinc was at 99% cpu, nothing else running. It stayed like this for a while, so I thought I'd CTRL-C it and restart, it didn't kill it! I had to kill -9 it, restarted and it did exactly the same thing...

This was on a dual xp machine running gentoo smp. Perhaps it has issues with smp?

I've got it attached on a couple of other XP based machines, so hopefully it will get some work on those at some point.

Bok

PCZ
09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
I think a couple of WU's i got this morning finished.
Most of them failed straight away but the admins were making quite a few changes.

BTW
You were lucky getting a WU this evening none of my boxes did.

Chuck
09-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Bok
Why can't you run a 64bit version?

I compiled the boinc client just fine under 64bit Gentoo.

Or are you talking about the native client running under boinc?

What happened to the 64bit Suse that was donated to you anyway?

Bok

I have the 64 bit suse... it has some issues but is doing SOLID otherwise.... i am working with fc4 also to find the problem... it looks like gcc... it's not the OS.. the SUSE is great and the FC4 is not bad either..

I do need the 64 bit static client, -mtune=Opteron (boinc client)

i can't roll my own for beans... but then i did download from the cvs @ ssl... LOL

If you think I should spin a Gentoo install and its easy enough for a 1/2 medicated oof like me, then i'll try it.

email me when you can... this is off topic here.

llama009
09-12-2005, 04:36 AM
Are there any graphics for orbit?

Mustard
09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm still not seeing any work from here.

Bok
09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I've had no more..

and llama, I don't think there are graphics as there is only a linux version for now..

Bok