PDA

View Full Version : Need monitoring program

jasong
06-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Guys, my distributed.net experience has been very much the horrific hair-pulling variety. Since none of my problems can be conclusively traced back to a badly written program, I'm going to stick it out.

First, I'm not sure how to monitor it. It had been running for about 2 days(I thought) without returning work. By sheer luck I discovered that a separate DC program was running a screensaver. In the last 20 minutes I discovered that the computer, though it was on, was in no way interacting with the outside world as far as I could determine. I ended up having to unplug and replug it.

Now, as to the reason for this message. I installed it as a service using the approved download page. Unfortunately, the editing tool that came with my last experience was nowhere to be found, or at least refused to run. I know it's there, because I managed to edit at one point, but something about my configuration is making it difficult to access. In addition, I don't know how to send Ctrl-Alt-Del remotely, which means I am having tremendous trouble determining if it is running correctly or even running at all. When I go to the Services page(while plugged in to the offended computer directly) in Windows XP, I see the service is started, but the only way to access it is to stop the service and restart again in the normal double-click on the file fashion.

I request advice of which of the many monitoring programs is most appropriate for my needs, and help in general.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!