PDA

View Full Version : Unable to run Foldit.bat

vaughan
06-01-2002, 10:42 AM
On both my Athlon running Win2000Pro and my PIII running W98SE I downloaded the latest version and installed it in
C:\DistributedFolding\distribfold
Now when I run foldit.bat I get:

Checking for newer version...
SERVER DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE, TRY AGAIN LATER

Please try again later, Press Enter

This has been going on for the last day.
How do I fix it?
Vaughan

Brian the Fist
06-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Can you access www.distributedfolding.org in your browser? Sounds like a networking trouble. Are you behind a firewall or a proxy or something like that?

vaughan
06-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Yes I can. I'm running a Netgear RT314 router to share my cable internet connection. No problems accessing the web - only current issue is distributed folding. I am unable to run ECCp109 - it just crashes every time I try to start it on the Win2000Pro computer. Ubero, Seti and D2OL all run OK.
Vaughan

Brian the Fist
06-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Unforunately I can't help you more unless you install a 'posrt sniffer' such as 'iris' (you can find some free ones if you search google). This will show all the network traffic on your machine in both directions. If you still wish to figure it out (Im certainly curious) just grab one and run it, then start up foldit.bat and it will record the 'dialogue' which you can send to me for analysis.

Jodie
06-02-2002, 01:04 PM
I have a $200k packet sniffer in the office. Piece o' junk.

I must say that Ethereal (www.ethereal.com) is by far and away the best, most complete and easiest to use sniffer I've ever touched.

Howard, you might consider requesting network traces in ethereal's format. It runs on every platform that DF does (and then some) and then you'd be able to do filter and analysis easily in a nice interface (in case the trace came back with a bit more info than you needed - as they so often do... ;) )

Just a suggestion...

vaughan
06-03-2002, 02:43 AM
Thanks Jodie, I downloaded Ethereal but it also wants winpcap loading first. When I try to install that I get an error:
Invalid character in the tag name. Line 2, position 58 OK.
So I sent an email to the authors of that program and await a reply.

I don't understand why foldit.bat doesn't run. It is the same desktop shortcut that worked until the new protein arrived on the scene.

Regards,
Vaughan

Jodie
06-03-2002, 02:47 AM
Have you tried running foldit.bat from a command prompt in the directory where the distribfolding\ stuff actually lives?

Windows can "lose" shortcuts for no apparent reason...

If you run (or attempt to run) foldit.bat from a command prompt after cd'ing to the appropriate distribfolding directory - what does it say?

bumblebee
06-03-2002, 07:00 PM
I,m having the same problem:confused:
Nothing has changed (as far as I know) since we changed to the CASP5 work unit.

I am also going through a Netgear internet router to a cable connection (through Optusnet@Home) at work so I don't know if this is the problem.

I can get it to work through dialup, so the client is ok.

I have used ethereal to get a packet capture of the client trying to connect to the server, so who should I send it to.:confused:

I hope this help to workout whats happening.:cheers:

vaughan
06-04-2002, 09:24 AM
Brilliant Jodie - that worked.
Thanks,
Vaughan