PDA

View Full Version : Jason's rambling upgrade thread

jasong
06-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Guys, I don't even have a job and I've spent thousands of dollars already in my head!!!

Right now I'm tempting fate by running my brother's really slow computer with an illegal duplicate of Windows XP. My dad gave me a,"You're such a jackass!" look when I suggested I learn to run Linux to keep within the law, and I feel like I'll have a similar problem when the computer I won in the middle of May is finally up and running. I REALLY don't want to alienate my father considering how problematic the relationship is, but then again there's that little matter of potential lawsuits and subsequent legal fees.

I definitely want to learn to run Linux if I build my farm to more than 3 computers. I intend to do some hardcore saving so I can get a dual-core AMD crunching, maybe upgrade my RAM in what I've got.

I meant for this to be a discussion about hardware, but I have a feeling it's going to be either about relationships, copyright law, or both.

I originally intended this to be a totally different topic. I guess I'll have to start a new thread based on my original thought, lol :rotfl:

Dyyryath
06-24-2005, 02:04 AM
Well, you could always give one of the more desktop oriented, user-friendly Linux distros a shot. Ubuntu & Suse 9.3 both spring immediately to mind.

I run Gentoo on my boxes at home (which some would say makes me a masochist :D), but I've been running Suse 9.3 on my desk at work and I've been quite impressed with it.

I thought, just out of curiosity, that'd I see how long I could go only using the GUI tools before I had to drop to the command line for something. So far the only reason I use the terminal is to SSH into other machines. Not bad at all.

I've got Ubuntu on a box here at the house and it's pretty sweet, too. I don't think it's as complete in the GUI tools department, but it's a very nice desktop nonetheless.

Neither really requires any previous Linux knowledge at all to get up and running with.