PDA

View Full Version : New user to Dimes

Merlin45
07-03-2005, 10:39 AM
:confused: I am new to the Dimes DC project.

What I am wondering is that I am on dialup and if I disconnect do I loose what I have found? Or does it continue on with the searching when I log back on?

Just a stupid question.......

Next question

I have 12 systems on my home network. If I install dimes on all of them, do they do repeat work or is this IP hunt all random?

Thanks in advance.

Jkusuda
07-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Hey Merlin,

Nice to see a familiar face again! As far as Dimes and your dialup go, I'm pretty sure the client keeps a record of work accomplished up until disconnect time. Doing it that way though probably isn't the most efficient but I would think it would keep your work.

As far as your home network goes, much of the work will be redundant. What I've noticed is the first initial pings and traces are the same from the same location. After a while though, it becomes more random as the client decides what to ping and which route to trace. My understanding though is that it is like Seti in that they are double checking some things and sometimes new information is produced using already established routes.

Hope this helps,

:cheers:

Merlin45
07-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the fast reply......

I hope I dont loose my tracing. I guess I will find out in 32 mins.

Thats when my ISP automatically disconnects my connection......

BOY I hate dialup.:swear:

But its the only thing I can get out here in the back woods in Wisconsin........

Could get a dish for it, but its a little too costly....

Shish
07-03-2005, 08:17 PM
The client does store your work and will send it on a schedule or when you stop and restart.
As far as I know, the first few pings will be the same till it finds a branch and then different machines will go in different directions.
I believe server instructions also play a part.