PDA

View Full Version : How is DFP different from F@H?

diademz
06-03-2002, 02:00 AM
Hello all!

I'm very interested in contributing to either of these projects, but I would like to know how is the Distributed Folding Project different from the Folding@Home project?

I was trying to look for FAQs but I couldn't find any (maybe I didn't look hard enough :)

If they are the same projects, do both use the same clients? If not, which one is better?

diademz
06-03-2002, 02:34 AM
Ok, I think I found my reply :

http://bane.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=920

Distributed Computing: The ultimate goal is to be able to take a known string of amino acids (the beads) and "predict" how they will fold into a protein whose final form is not yet known. The method is tested against "known" proteins for testing purposes, but in CASP 5 it will be tested against unkown proteins. The advantage is that it will "speed up the process of discovery."

Folding@Home: Takes Known amino acid strings and known final proteins and trys to figure out the process of how they "fold" from one to the other. A step by step anylsis of the process. Also key to their project is how some proteins "mis-fold" or essentially mutate into proteins that do damage rather than helpful proteins and cause disease, which is the suspected cause of diseases such as Alzheimers, mad cow disease, etc. It is like a book where you know the the first paragraph of the prelude, and the last paragraph of the conclusion, and are trying to fill in everything that happened in between.

-----

Now I'm stumped. Which one should I join? From the descriptions above, F@H seems more likely to see results in the near future?

Cheers.

Scott Jensen
06-03-2002, 03:54 AM
Also read the threads in the Educational section of this forum ... especially thread titled "The Science of Distributed Folding?".

Eaglechild
06-03-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by diademz
Ok, I think I found my reply :

http://bane.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=920

Distributed Computing: The ultimate goal is to be able to take a known string of amino acids (the beads) and "predict" how they will fold into a protein whose final form is not yet known. The method is tested against "known" proteins for testing purposes, but in CASP 5 it will be tested against unkown proteins. The advantage is that it will "speed up the process of discovery."

Folding@Home: Takes Known amino acid strings and known final proteins and trys to figure out the process of how they "fold" from one to the other. A step by step anylsis of the process. Also key to their project is how some proteins "mis-fold" or essentially mutate into proteins that do damage rather than helpful proteins and cause disease, which is the suspected cause of diseases such as Alzheimers, mad cow disease, etc. It is like a book where you know the the first paragraph of the prelude, and the last paragraph of the conclusion, and are trying to fill in everything that happened in between.

-----

Now I'm stumped. Which one should I join? From the descriptions above, F@H seems more likely to see results in the near future?

Cheers.

Well let me just say that you shouldn't take the above as gospel, it is just a layman's interpetation. (mine) As to which will see results in the nearest future, it is difficult to tell. Both are pretty much leading edge stuff. I suspect that F@H might produce usable results in one or two areas sooner, but if successful, I think that Distributed Folding has the potential to revolutionize protein research and folding prediction, and thereby provide more results quicker and in a greater number of areas.

Only time will tell. You can't go wrong either way really. (subliminal message: Distributed Folding, Distributed Folding, Distributed Folding...)
:D

randreh_toeht
06-10-2002, 12:47 AM
I am contemplating a change in DC projects. The G@H project has finally lost my respect.

In terms of usefull data, what is the view of this group? What is the most usefull project to mankind? DF or F@H?

Kind Regards,

Randreh.

Scott Jensen
06-10-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by randreh_toeht
I am contemplating a change in DC projects. The G@H project has finally lost my respect.

What did they do now?

pointwood
06-10-2002, 04:35 AM
They are both doing good stuff - I don't think it is possible to answer your question.

However, if you want to get away from the G@H project, joining the F@H project will not help much as it is more or less the same team.