PDA

View Full Version : how to upload structures after crash?

Michael H.W. Weber
06-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Maybe someone else has requested this elswhere in this forum - so, my apologize in advance if this is the case.

Quite often I have the problem that my machines crashes - for whatever reason - while contributing to DF. After reboot, the structures generated cannot be uploaded anymore. I have heard that there are some methods of doing this by creating a batch file or something like that and I have also tried some of them without satisfying results.
Anyhow, since I do not have enough time to take care of this, I would like to ask for a modification of DF - or a downloadable batch file - that auto-uploads the apparently corrupt structure files in such a case after reboot of machine & restart of DF. The thing is that of the three files .val.bz2 .log.bz2 & filelist.txt only .val.bz2 is present after reboot. Therefore, the others have to be created.

Thanks,
Michael.

Brian the Fist
06-03-2002, 10:19 AM
IF only the .val.bz2 file is remaining then the data has been lost and cannot be recovered. Sorry. You will at most lose everything since the last ATTEMPT to upload (whether successful or not).

Michael H.W. Weber
06-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
IF only the .val.bz2 file is remaining then the data has been lost and cannot be recovered. Sorry. You will at most lose everything since the last ATTEMPT to upload (whether successful or not).
This is exactly what I suspected. Isn't there a way to avoid this? Some checkpointing feature or something like that? Why has a second file to be generated, anyway? I'd prefer writing a "recovery .log.bz2 file" to harddisk after a user-adjustable number of generated structures - how about that?

You say "at most" - well, for an AMD K6-II@500MHz this is quite a lot of power consumption for nothing. :scared:

Michael.

Brian the Fist
06-03-2002, 03:29 PM
If your computer really crashes that often I think you should be more concerned about why it crashes so much than about the structures you might lose. Perhaps its time to switch to a more stable OS :p

Michael H.W. Weber
06-04-2002, 02:23 AM
Actually, at present I am quite happy with my OS - regardless of the crashes (which have other reasons). What I am really unhappy about, however, is a missing checkpointing feature in DF. :help:

Michael.

Michael H.W. Weber
06-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Howard,
don't you think writing the *.log.bz2 file as some sort of checkpointing feature would be a good idea?

Michael.

wirthi
06-06-2002, 08:16 AM
HI,

writing checkpoints more often (or uploading the buffer more often) would be great, but it also costs computing power. As far as I know the possibility to configure how often the buffer is uploaded (and thus saved) will be implemented in a future version of the client ....

Greets,
Wirthi

Michael H.W. Weber
06-06-2002, 08:31 AM
Would of course be cool if that "future version of the client" could appear during the CASP5 experiment. I think every structure counts now.

All the best,
Michael.

Brian the Fist
06-06-2002, 01:09 PM
There was a bug (now fixed) which prevented proper checkpointing ever 5000 or whatever structures. IT is not posted yet, it will be next week. Just keep an eye on the NEWS section of the web site as it will not be an auto-update (those are for critical bugfixes and changes only)

Michael H.W. Weber
06-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Ok Howard - thanks for the update. However, any thoughts about how to prevent structure loss if - for whatever reason - *.log.bz2 is not created? An option/switch to generate this file every 100 structures or so?

All the best,
Michael.