PDA

View Full Version : Networking your computer to play video on your tv.(How?)

jasong
07-24-2005, 09:44 PM
The subject line says it all. My .tivo files play just great on my computer, so I figure if I can network my computer to my television I won't have to worry about breaking DRM to get things to play.

Any comments?

LAURENU2
07-24-2005, 10:04 PM
It sounds like you want to get data from your TV source and record it. For that you would need a capture card to input the data

jasong
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by LAURENU2
It sounds like you want to get data from your TV source and record it. For that you would need a capture card to input the data Actually, my Tivo already recorded the data. But because I have no interest in hacking my Tivo or the files, I need a way to play the pc-archived files on my tv.

Windows Media Player uses a codec to play my Tivo files, but because of the way they encode files and the fact that I have no interest in becoming a hacker, I need a way to get Windows Media Player to play files on my television. I would need special skills to change the .tivo files into regular dvd player files, and Tivo intentionally makes the process difficult.

So, basically, I need to network my computer to my television to play through Windows Media Player.

PCZ
07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
jasong

I seriously doubt that your TV has a NIC card.
So networking your PC to the TV is out.

Does your Video Card have a TV out ?
You could also look at getting a VGA to TV converter.

Honestly though the best way would be to burn the tivo files to DVD.

jasong
07-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
jasong

I seriously doubt that your TV has a NIC card.
So networking your PC to the TV is out.

Does your Video Card have a TV out ?
You could also look at getting a VGA to TV converter.

Honestly though the best way would be to burn the tivo files to DVD. I might end up having to do that, but that would involve learning hacking skills.

Of course, considering the fact that I have no life and no job, that might be a good way to keep busy.

I'll have to talk to my dad and do some research.

magnav0x
07-25-2005, 10:39 PM
You won't need any "hacking" lessons. Just google around. I'm sure there are many places that will literally show you every step of the way.

LAURENU2
07-25-2005, 11:39 PM
He needs a capture card to input the vid data to hard disk or dvd and a PC Vid card with TV or Dvi out With M$ Media Player it turns the whole PC into a big DVD r/wr player and sound system