PDA

View Full Version : Why BSD

IronBits
07-24-2005, 11:02 PM
I know some of you swear by this OS ;)
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-freebsd/?ca=dgr-lnxw01FreeBSD
:cheers:

Darkness Productions
07-25-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't personally swear by it, but I have used it many a time... It's a very powerful server OS, and while it may not be as scalable as Linux, it seems to handle networking better (most times)...

Plus, if Steve Jobs likes it, it must be good, right? Damned Intel being chosen over PPC... :swear: :swear:

PCZ
08-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Because it is solid as a rock and has few if any vuns.

It's not "state of the art" but if your hardware is supported and the apps you wan't to run are available then you end up with an extremely reliable server.

Techies can sleap nights not worrying about servers falling over or being comprimised.

alpha
08-11-2005, 04:15 AM
I'll just stand up briefly for FreeBSD, as I don't think it is fair to categorise it simply as a server OS. FreeBSD is a very usable desktop OS too, but in comparison with modern Linux distros, it is obvious that their installers are more friendly (so I can see where you are coming from) and there may be other helpful tools which FreeBSD lacks.

I would say that FreeBSD is very usable as a desktop or server OS, but it perhaps lacks some of the tools and friendliness for newbies. Coming from a more experienced standpoint, I love FreeBSD and do not find it hard to use, install or configure at all. Oh, and invariably it performs to perfection. :)

Hey, maybe the eOn guys should be running FreeBSD. :moon: