PDA

View Full Version : EoN priority changes don't accomplish anything

jasong
08-03-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't know what's going on. When I stop the DC program Proth Sieve, Eon goes up to around 100%. I've tried this multiple times. The thing is, with Proth Sieve on Low the choices Low, Below_Normal and Normal on Eon still allow Proth Sieve to dominate at maximum.

I KNOW I'm being anal, and I KNOW on a good day only about 45 minutes are lost, but if someone could make the Priority settings behave I would be SO, SO grateful.

black_civic55
08-03-2005, 10:12 PM
mine behave so maybe its proth and not eon

jasong
08-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm not saying it's Eon's fault, I promise. Here's the thing:

think.exe (another DC program)and client.exe have BOTH been put through combinations of a Low setting along with one of the lower 3 settings listed in the Control Panel for changing priority. All SIX of these combinations result in an approximate difference of 50-50 with no discernable difference between any of them.

I'm afraid to set either of them any higher, but I'm stumped as to why there is no effect.

This forces me to ask the question: Is a 1.75GHz Sempron at 50% power of any use to your project? My intention was to have Eon dominate and think.exe get the ZZZs, but obviously that's a problem.

Note: Your's is a very worthy project. I wrote on a sheet of paper the amount of time my System Idle Process is at. I'm going to give it at least 24 hours and check back. If I can get 19 hours of Eon out of a 24 hour day, I'll stick with you guys.

PY 222
08-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I did some tweaking of my own and found that client.exe and dnetc.exe plays well with one another.

With client.exe being on Normal priority and dnetc.exe being on Low, eOn will take 80% of the CPU and dnet will take the remainder. When eOn gets some ZZZZ, dnet will kick in and grab all the idle CPU power.

jasong
08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by PY 222
I did some tweaking of my own and found that client.exe and dnetc.exe plays well with one another.

With client.exe being on Normal priority and dnetc.exe being on Low, eOn will take 80% of the CPU and dnet will take the remainder. When eOn gets some ZZZZ, dnet will kick in and grab all the idle CPU power. This is not to degrade dnet users, but this project is in a tiny category of projects that I have no interest in whatsoever. I'm not going to go into why because I don't want to start a flame war.

On the other hand, I'm considering the possibility DPAD can get some use out of the spare cycles.

At the moment, I'm simply going to wait and see how much cpu is actually wasted.