PDA

View Full Version : DCR projects

Bok
08-04-2005, 01:45 PM
After testing myself that you can easily use a keyboard macro to gain keystrokes & mouse movements I'm putting to the poll to potentially remove Bewes, TKC and Mousetracker from the DCR stats..

Bok

PY 222
08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I agree in removing them from the DCR as they aren't actually real Distributed Computing projects to begin with.

Fozzie
08-04-2005, 02:23 PM
too easy to abuse.

IronBits
08-04-2005, 06:09 PM
I vote to remove them.

magnav0x
08-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Remove them

PS2pcGAMER
08-04-2005, 10:45 PM
I also agree to remove them.

I used to run these projects, but I've stopped because I feel they just aren't worth it.

alpha
08-05-2005, 03:57 AM
Remove.

Darkness Productions
08-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I vote to leave them in. Seti@Home can easily be cheated, but it's in there. Other projects can be cheated as well, and those stay in too.

Just a random note, WhatPulse won't even load up in VPCs, and more importantly, won't take keys from scripts/etc.

alpha
08-05-2005, 10:07 AM
The aforementioned projects are easier to cheat at than any other. They are the only projects included in the DCR which are driven by human participation rather than machine participation.

Should they be included even if you CAN'T cheat? I wouldn't really call these "distributed computing projects".

magnav0x
08-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by alpha
The aforementioned projects are easier to cheat at than any other. They are the only projects included in the DCR which are driven by human participation rather than machine participation.

Should they be included even if you CAN'T cheat? I wouldn't really call these "distributed computing projects".

excactly my thoughts

Bok
08-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Poll is closed, I've actually done the 3rd option for now as it was only a 1 lince code change. I'll take them out of the page later.

Bok

wirthi
08-12-2005, 07:19 AM
While that meant a huge drop for me in the stats (I think I was #2 or #3 in Misc stats before and am now #36) I agree that those non-computing projects should not be counted in DCR stats.

But what's for example with DIMES? It's no computing project either - it's some kind of distributed downloading or distributed tracerouting project and has nothing to do with the original "distributed computing" idea either (as originally introduced by distributed.net and SETI@home). Or am I missing something, I haven't used DIMES recently. Perhaps that's true for other projects - I don't know anything about all those BOINC projects and others.

(and thanks Bok for the link)

FluffyChicken
08-12-2005, 08:50 AM
DIMES is distributed computing, but not in the number crunching way.

Without the distibuted computers participating in the project they would not be able to map the internet as quickly or as accuratly as they would from there own server.

It doesn't care much for Hz but for bit/s

Mouse tracker type programs on the other hand are still distributed computing but I call then Distributed Fun and wouldn't include them.
The goal is 'fun' and not really for anything.

What about DC programs like MoneyBee ? That distibuted crashing program on BOINC ?

Shish
08-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Defin bloody itely.
Too easy to cheat on.