PDA

View Full Version : traditional periodic "anyone know what is up with CB" thread

QIbHom
08-05-2005, 10:58 PM
The CB forum page is 404ing. I haven't connected to the server in over a month. As usual, the CB webpage hasn't been updated in a coon's age.

Anyone know what is up? I'm very close to just taking it off my computers.

IronBits
08-05-2005, 11:41 PM
That project ended quite sometime ago.
The site works for me...

The ChessBrain software is undergoing a year-long major rewrite. Our next release is designed to be massively scalable running on single processor machines to large compute clusters - and everything in between! For the first time, members will be able to build and operate their own local clusters!

Unfortunately, the software still isn't ready! However, if you don't mind testing safe software (that's not perfect) why not join our testing team? Click here to learn more. (which reads)

A new ChessBrain

Our successful Guinness World Record attempt was a great learning experience. Despite extensive preparation we still managed to push the ChessBrain software to the point of near complete failure. It seemed that there was more wrong with what we created than we could have imagined.

During our time in Copenhagen we debated alternative designs and reconsidered earlier assumptions. Fifteen months later, after a number of rewrites, a new ChessBrain is starting to come together. We feel confident that this new approach will be highly scalable and resolve all of the issues we experienced in January 2004.

Our new approach divides ChessBrain participants into two general categories.

* Cluster operators: members operating more than one machine with access to DSL/Cable connections.
* Node operators: members operating one or more machines.

A cluster operator is a registered member who hosts a ChessBrain supernode server. Clusters can be locally or remotely distributed. For example, a university operating a 128 machine cluster can locally administered their cluster using their own local ChessBrain supernode. A computer hobbyist with five machines at home can do the same. A cluster can consist of both local machines and remote ones. So, a distributed computing team can manage a cluster of team member machines.

Node operators are individuals who don't wish to operate a cluster, but do want to contribute to the project. Each machine node simply connects to the nearest cluster/supernode.

A significant change over the prior design is that Peernodes will no longer connect to a single Supernode. Rather, peernodes will now connect to the nearest public Supernode. Only Supernodes (clusters) will connect to the Supernode at distributedchess.net. This design will maximize computing resources, taking full advantage of machines which are relatively local while streamlining communication with the main supernode server.

QIbHom
08-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Was there ever an official announcement that the project ended? I've been waiting for the new release (which is late, but that happens), but I missed any announcement that we should turn off our clients.

http://www.chessbrain.net works for me. Their links to their fora do not. Do the fora work for you?

I saw the beta test announcement, and cannot participate. Is the software actually being beta tested? Or are the beta volunteers still waiting, too?

Granted, I just set things up and let them run, but they've got my e-mail addy, I've checked the web page monthly or so, and I check the project fora. If there wasn't an announcement, I'm ticked at them. If there was one, I guess I just don't pay enough attention to run it.

the-mk
08-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Their forum (http://www.chessbrain.net/bbs) isn't working for me either :|punch|:

I've taken the clients offline long time ago when I saw that the stats aren't updating anymore. The clients are eating up memory (4 to 20 mb per client; usually have more clients run on the same machine), so I decided to do so.

Homepage isn't updating anymore. It would be great to get informations like "we are at stage xx when programming the new client" or "we have a real life too, so don't expect a soon release of the software" or something like that. Bad enough they took the forum offline...

The funny thing is that stats (http://www.chessbrain.net/stats/) are "updating"... amount per user or team isn't updating while there is every day or every hour a new "updated ..." date :rolleyes:

But it's ok, there are enough other distributed computing projects I can participate :)

QIbHom
08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks, The-MK. I'm not going crazy, then. I'll take it off my computers, and, if CJ ever deigns to talk to the rest of the word, maybe put it back on.

the-mk
08-07-2005, 09:56 AM
If chessbrain ever comes back with new software and nice working stats I'll participate again.

I liked chessbrain a lot as a "side" project you can run on your computers. It doesn't take 100% of the cpu, so you have enough room to run another project, so that's the reason why I liked it.

But at the moment, CJ doesn't let his users know what's going on about chessbrain, no comment like "we are at stage xx, software release on [date]" or "we have a real life too, don't expect anything before [date]". And that's a little bit sad to me :(

Wake me up if chessbrain ever returns :sleepy:

QIbHom
08-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah, it was great for filling in the cracks. And just a sentance or two of update, once a month or so would have gone a long way. I don't need all the details, just a "something is happening, really" note. Or, "I'm taking off a month to surf, collect sea urchins and contemplate the nature of hot dogs".

the-mk
08-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Per accident I saw that there should have been a beta testing by the end of march, see http://www.chessbrain.net/chessbrain.rss

Or at least CJ moved it to there :rolleyes: when is it now? :D

Maybe CJ won in the lottery and didn't tell anybody?

Still :sleepy: until chessbrain comes back...

PCZ
08-24-2005, 05:35 AM
CJ did email people who had registered interest in assisting with the Beta.

At the time my work comitments were high and I didn't have the time to devote to nursing beta code.

Is anybody doing the Beta testing ?

rshepard
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I registered for the beta testing, and so far no sign of it. I assume it isn't out yet.

TeeJay
08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
CJ did email people who had registered interest in assisting with the Beta.

At the time my work comitments were high and I didn't have the time to devote to nursing beta code.

Is anybody doing the Beta testing ?

I signed up for the beta...
He emailed me a couple months back asking about the pharm.
But haven't heard hide-nor-hair from him since...

Jeff
08-30-2005, 04:40 PM
"Me too." He emailed me a few months ago too but nothing since. :dunno: