PDA

View Full Version : out of work..

Bok
08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
No more work available at the moment, so make sure you check your clients and switch if they have ran out. :(

I'm going to try Einstein.

Bok

PCZ
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
What no work :D

Par for the course with Boinc.

Bok
08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
To be fair, LHC do talk about how they need downtime every now and then in order to analyze the results.

If the BOINC platform worked like I think it should work, then it wouldn't be a problem.

i.e. You have a primary project and secondary project and tertiary project etc etc.

Primary runs ALL the time unless it runs out of work when it then goes to the next project whilst keep checking on the primary. If work comes back, switch back to the primary.

At the moment you can approximate to that by chaning the share allocation, but it's still not quite there.

Funnily enough, my x2 is the only machine which still has work for LHC at least for the next 6 hours or so anyway.

Bok

birdman2584
08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Ive moved to einstein as well.

Fozzie
08-19-2005, 01:26 PM
while I was looking for annoucements I saw you won a T-Shirt PCZ.

:cheers:

Angus
08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Work is available again, at least for a while.

Got my queues all filled up.

Mustard
09-15-2005, 06:36 PM
What is a good "contact network" setting for this? I put some systems on it while the sztaki is acting up. Was going to run seti, but tired of their contact deferred for XXX minutes........ :(

any idea on how long beore this project goes south?

Bok
09-15-2005, 07:14 PM
I just have it set at 0.5 days for my queues. The home page shows how many workunits are available. They let them completely run out then wait for everything coming in whilst they analyze the results, then they release a new batch of workunits..

so http://lhcathome.cern.ch/ is showing a healthy amount of wu's for now..

Bok

p.s. I have sztaki set at 5000, LHC at 200 and Einstein at 5, so it will crunch something, but according to my preferences. As long as I have the connect time low, I can just change these preferences on the websites and all crunchers should get through their 0.5 days cache max and connect and start running the project I choose..

PCZ
09-15-2005, 07:21 PM
I am also set for 0.5 days.

Although when i woke up this morning and found Sztaki had run out of work i wished it had been set a lot longer. :swear:

I am doing predictor as a stop gap but if the focus is going to be on LHC i can switch over ?

Bok
09-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Only thing I've noticed with Predictor is it's pretty crappy on linux?? A lot slower than on windows. Have you noticed that? I was also getting a lot of 'work available, but not on this platform' errors recently when I tried. These are the reasons I chose not to do it.

LHC when they have workunits seem very stable, as does Einstein..

Bok

Mustard
09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
So how long do these LHC work units take in linux?

Bok
09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
erm, not sure, I don't really time them on linux too much.

Let's see, I just checked one which is pending.

On an XP2700 running gentoo it took 5700 cpu seconds. Another P4 1.6 running windows XP did the same workunit in 11,317

Another one 7172 on an A64 3200+ running Gentoo again in 7100 cpu secs, same unit on a P4 3.0 running windows XP took 11,200.

Not sure if this is really a fair indicator or not, but I think so :)

Bok