PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Client Problem

Dyyryath
01-03-2002, 04:27 AM
I saw something new today:

"Received Faulty WU, Notifying Stanford"

That wouldn't have been a big deal, but it would (presumably) notify Stanford, and then it would download another WU....which would also be found "faulty".

It just kept cycling and cycling.

Finally, I decided to delete the whole install and reinstall the client from scratch. Presto! I'm back in business.

Strange, though. And a potential problem for people (read: me) who intend to run the client on large fleets of systems. I need to determine whether it was just a wierd fluke, or if not, then what causes it and how do I either prevent it or spot it when running as a service.

Has anybody else seen this?

pointwood
01-03-2002, 04:59 AM
I haven't seen it and I haven't seen it reported anywhere else (and I follow F@H at Ars, [H] and the yahoo boards pretty closely, but somebody can of course easily have posted about such a thing anyway). This does make me believe it is a pretty rare problem.

I think you should post about it to the yahoo bugreports board here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folding-bugreports/messages

Remember to state what client you are using and other info that could be useful (although I'm sure I don't have to remind you to do that...).

If you aren't a member there - I could post it for you if you like?

Dyyryath
01-03-2002, 11:01 AM
No, I'm not a member, so if you'd like to post it, I'd be appreciative.

This was the 2.15 Windows console client running under Windows XP Pro.

It was installed as a regular application (not as a service).

It'd been running without incident before this for several days.

FoBoT
01-03-2002, 12:11 PM
i think this happened once to me, but i am almost positive it was with a version prior to 2.15

dragongoddess
01-03-2002, 12:16 PM
no about the only problem I see is cannot render gl then locks up after several attempts.

pointwood
01-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Okay, I've posted it.

pointwood
01-04-2002, 06:54 AM
ok, in this case, it would be helpful to have a copy of the FAHlog.txt file

Also, FYI in general, if you see a problem, you can delete the
queue.dat file and the work directory and then all will be cleaned up to get a new WU.

VijayDo you still have the log file?

Link to his answer:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folding-bugreports/message/117

Dyyryath
01-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Sadly, no, I didn't save the log file. :(

I should have, but I just wanted to get the client running again at the time. I deleted the whole install and reinstalled a fresh copy.

If I see the problem again, I'll email Vijay (I've still got his email addy around here somehwere) a copy of the whole directory and an exact description of what it's doing.

Thanks for posting it for me, though!

pointwood
01-14-2002, 06:03 AM
I just skimmed the yahoo F@H2 boards and it seems at least one other person is having this or a similar problem:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folding-bugreports/message/149

Ps. Like the updated design and stuff - looks cool! When will the ter site get such cool stuff? ;) (sorry - had to ask :))