PDA

View Full Version : Free Linspire

CaptainMooseInc
09-02-2005, 07:31 PM
http://news.com.com/Linspire+giving+away+desktop+Linux+OS/2100-7344_3-5845940.html?tag=xtra

I guess Linspire is giving away free copies of their stuff. You get a coupon and then can DL it. I can't seem to find out how yet though...

-Jeff

IronBits
09-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Step 1: Redeem the Coupon

1. Click the “Get it Now” button above
2. Click on "Order" button for Linspire Five-0
3. Click the "Buy Digital" button
4. Click the "Apply Coupon" button in the shopping cart
5. Enter "freespire" (without the quotes) and click the "Update" and "Continue" buttons
6. Check out of the shopping cart
7. Create a My.Linspire account

Step 2: Download the Software

1. Click on the My Products>CD Downloads menu on the left side of the screen
2. Select the ISO you want to download from our servers or via BitTorrent (Linspire Five-0)
3. Download it to your hard disk, then burn an installation CD using any modern CD-burning software (e.g. Nero, K3B)
4. Once you've got the install CD, you'll be able to run Linspire from that CD without installing to a hard drive (we call this running in "Live CD" mode), or you can install to a partition.
5. If you need further assistance, please see
http://linspire.com/installhelp

CaptainMooseInc
09-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Apparently you can go to http://linspire.com/freespire and check it out.

But I've cut out all the middlemen for you.

This offer is available until Sept. 6th. The servers are being hit HARD so if your DL fails then just retry it.

There servers are CRAWLING at the moment so things may take a little bit to load (up to a full minute for the webpage). Try downloading from 11pm-5am PST (that's 2am-8am EST I believe).

The webpage to get the DL is failing at the moment, but just stay up late.

Hey! It's a chance to play around with a good Linux distro.

Go here: http://www.linspire.com/products_linspire_whatis.php
Choose the digital download of Linspire
Enter coupon code FREESPIRE (maybe needed all lowercase)
Click "back to shopping cart"
Click Check Out
Choose your ISO

There is also supposed to be a way to get a torrent of it but I don't know how!!! I can't find the torrent anywhere. :(

If anyone else can add anything please do so...

-Jeff

CaptainMooseInc
09-02-2005, 08:01 PM
One minute apart posts! Ha!!!

Use either instructions. Mine are better cause I'm not :geezer: like RustyBits...I mean IronBits. :notworthy

-Jeff

Merlin45
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a problem, I am on dialup and cannot download the file. Will take according to time left 34 hours.......

Could someone make a copy for me?

If so PM me and I will send address. i will pay for shipping and materals used.......

CaptainMooseInc
09-04-2005, 01:07 AM
If you're willing to use BitTorrent to get your copy...

Go here: http://www.linspire.com/cnr_linspirelive.php

I found it through much searching. This way you get the free offer without having to wait for those servers to become "unclogged" (i think there was just too much response so they're using that as an excuse). I'll be DLing it tonight and seeding with over 165 others.

Hopefully you guys can all get it too.

-Jeff

PS2pcGAMER
09-05-2005, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Merlin45
I have a problem, I am on dialup and cannot download the file. Will take according to time left 34 hours.......

Could someone make a copy for me?

If so PM me and I will send address. i will pay for shipping and materals used.......

Did you find someone to download it for you?

If not I am downloading it now. I have enough spare bandwidth so if you get it from someone else, it isn't a big deal.

CaptainMooseInc
09-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I can potentially mail it to you. I need to get a spindle of CD-Rs (I'm out). But it won't cost much to get that and a thick envelope (i think I have one) and then mail that out. PM me if you still need it and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. I'll get it all together and mail it to you and then tell you what it cost me and you can just PayPal it to me. :)

-Jeff

Merlin45
09-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Not yet, but captainmooseinc is closer.
Thanks for the offer

Originally posted by PS2pcGAMER
Did you find someone to download it for you?

If not I am downloading it now. I have enough spare bandwidth so if you get it from someone else, it isn't a big deal.

PS2pcGAMER
09-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Ok, that's cool.

I am also out of blank cds anyway. :bang:

And I probably won't get more until late this week or early next week. If it doesn't work out with CaptainMoose for whatever reason, I can get the disk to you next week.

Merlin45
09-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Boy I wish I had that problem of running out of CD's

Right now I have approx

900-1000 CD-R 80mins
100-150 CD-RW 80mins
DVD's
4.7Gigs approx 300 DVD-R
200-250 DVD-RW's used for tempory storage and testing of encodings
500+ DVD+R DL's

Video encoding is working out good here.
Making DVD's & SVCD's from personal home VHS tapes and so on.
Am making approx 10 per day and I have only opened my business for less than a month now (word of mouth(advertised for less than a week))
Its only a part time shop too. If it keeps gonig like this I think I will make it my primary income.

There goes my DC Computing power................

Dual Processor is used for the encoding.
AMD64-3000 is used for encoding
2.6XP & 2.5XP used for capturing
AMD1.8XP used for burning ( 2 CD Burners, 2 DVD burners )
1 reserve 1.8XP also setup with 2 DVD burners

MAN hope business keeps up. Just wish the computer part of the business takes off, its sorta dead. Only 3 sales so far. 1 webpage server and 2 upgrades.