PDA

View Full Version : when BOINC is left alone..

black_civic55
09-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I got a question about when leaving BOINC alone.

How do you set it up so that say for instance LHC runs and if that project is out of work then Sztaki and then after that ProteinPredictor?

I know about changing the use percentage but on my Pentium D i want both processors working on a LHC WU but when i went to look at it before LHC was running and a protein WU was running. How do you get more work automatically when a WU is done?

Bok
09-10-2005, 04:19 PM
You can't :( That's what I'd like it to do as well.

I just set my LHC preference to be say 4000 and the next one to be 1.

If LHC runs out of work, the other will kick in.

That's the nearest I can see to doing what you (and I) want..

Bok

black_civic55
09-11-2005, 01:05 AM
damn, id like it to run out of downloaded work and then just get some more, not switch to sumin else!

Chuck
09-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Boinc should never run out of work for a project. It should achieve balance where it downloads one as it finishes uploading and reporting. I achieved that by specifying how frequently I connect to the internet. I set it for connecting every 2 days (which keeps about a 1/2 day's work in my queue) .

If this isn't happening, set the '-return-results-immediately' flag as well.

(Don't quote me on that exact flag syntax... please check it)... You can put it in either the registry for when boincmgr starts boinc (the actual client) on windows, or you can specify the option on the direct client under linux.

Please remember that you have to make sure all projects have the actual percentage you want it to have..... Specifying 50,000% and 500% will mess things up (Boinc isn't *that* intelligent). Make it the the 95% and 5% so the client can simply add it all up and 'magically' get 100% of resources is really needed.

All of this should happen indepent of the 'switch between applications every X minutes' stuff. (which has to match at all web sites because whichever one updates YOU most recently, wins. Having fighting / conflicting prefs is a nasty scene.

One thing I would LIKE to have is a 'Priority scheduler' instead of the round-robin scheduler.... but then we are talking about SSL developed code here.

Anyway, Hope that helps.

There are some examples I can give if I am too tired and my words don't make sense. (which does happen a lot).

Chuck