Thread: Libranet's "fade' from the scene

Libranet's "fade' from the scene

Been covered many places..but it's likely that Libranet will fade out as a Linux distro due to personal/family issues.

I've been a subscriber, and would be again if I had x86 PC's in need of a distro. This is a major drag because of the great functionality and community around Libranet.

QiBhOm, you still a Libranet tester/user?
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

has been eaten by a grue.
    Yeah, Chinosaur, I'm still using it. I am pissed at how Tal posted to his blog rather than sending an e-mail to the Libranet list, or even posting in the Libranet forum. But, it looks like Libranet is now dead, and most of the discussion on the Libranet list is what distro to move to now.

I'm bummed. I've been very happy with both the distro and the community, and I'll really miss being a beta tester. That was a blast, since we had folks with no Linux experience as well as Debian programmers on the beta.

Since Libranet is Debian compatible, I figure I can keep on using Libranet with a few tweaks to my sources.list. And, heavens knows, one always needs to tweak sources.list a bit.

Dat's a bummer. I should snag the latest free version and buy the latest full .. if there is still such a beast.

/me holds a personal minute of silence for Libranet
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

You can't buy the latest version. But, remember apt-get.....

I believe the free version is still up for download. If not, let me know.

I played the beta tester for Jon/Tal myself for a few years... dropped out this last summer when my father passed away. I understand what Tal is going through as relates to the family business thing. A lot of stuff going on in his mind right now. Just because things are looking pretty grim and overwhelming to him now, doesn't mean it will stay that way either. After the dust all settles, and he has time to look at what's what without all the other stuff dinging at him, he may decide to resurrect Libranet. There's the support group that's been with them for years that undoubtedly would help him should he decide to do that.

And this also is a lesson for a lot of people about getting really dependent on one distro of linux. Wasn't that long ago that there was really some seriously negative vibes going on in the Slackware world. My two favorite distros, Libranet and Slackware......... However with the Slackware, steps were taken to allow the distro to carry on and survive. Of course Slackware wasn't a family business effort either in the same context that Libranet was to the family consulting business, and that introduces a whole new complexity to the issue. Probate, businesses, and taxes can really muddle up the works when trying to carry on a business. And don't forget that all those lawyers don't work for free. So my heart truly goes out to Tal. And if he has unfortunately tweaked a few noses in trying to work through the combination of his business issues, personal and family grief, along with all the other crap society has managed to shove itself into peoples personal and business lives, then under the circumstances he should get the benefit of the doubt here.

And I'm not blasting anyone that has said anything so please don't anyone take it like that. I'm just saying give the man some space to work through his problems.

I agree that Tal needs space. But, I also won't insult him by expecting impolite behaviour from him. If he comes back from Israel ready to resurrect Libranet, I'll be there with my time and my credit card.

You are right, Lexx, about depending on one distro. One of the reasons I let mysefl fall in love with Libranet was because it was modified Debian, so what I learned was transferable. And I still toss a copy of whatever is hot on my test box every so often to keep up with what is going on (which is why I giggle at Gentoo - LFS is a lot more fun).

It seems to be natural somehow to get attached to our OSes. I still miss OS/2 and BeOS. There are days I miss DOS (yes, I know I'm a pervert). I used SuSE for a couple years, didn't really get attached to it, but would defend it against the Red Hat fanatics where I lived.

Life goes on. We'll all find something to run on our comps. Tal will learn how to live with Jon's loss. Those of us who pay attention will end up a little wiser.