Thread: Need info on "ENUM" folder for WinXP

Need info on "ENUM" folder for WinXP

I am switching to a Shuttle case/mobo. I am running WinXP SP2.

In old Win98 days, you could simply delete the ENUM folder, swap hardware and when rebooted, Windows would simply auto-detect and have you install new drivers for newly detected hardware. Was also a good way to give your 98 install a "freshen" up from time to time.

1. Under WindowsXP, will this still work?
    2. If not, what should I do?
    3. What would you do if switching to new mobo? Sound/AGP will stay same.

TIA

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

I've tried switching hard drives into other systems and always hit the inaccessible boot drive error. Here are some solutions to consider: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...d/problems.htm

In OLD computer, insert NEW motherboard CD Drivers.
    Install new chipset drivers, reboot, turn it off at BIOS screen!
    Put HDD in NEW computer, boot up, enjoy

Works with Windows 2000 as well, no need to delete ENUM reg keys.

Thanks d00ds!! I can always depend on my brothers/sisters at Free-DC.

/me wipes a tear.

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

If it is too late for that maybe because the motherboard died, then there is another solution:

Insert the Windows CD, but don't let it try to repair the installation! Select new install and then it will find the old Installation and then select repair! Don't get scared when it deletes a lot of files at first....
    All you programs will be intact also all your files....You just have to install all drivers again as you would with a fresh install...

Tried it myself with W2K and it is supposed to work with XP also...

Greets Thor