Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Production down - Position 2 looking good

Blog Entries
    Panic? Panic? Who me? I am the voice of calm. Once I get the refrigerator and nuker up and crunching, things will be fine. Anybody ever tried to crunch with a Palm Pilot?

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    We are closing in on you guys...only around 333 million structures between us

We just reached 900 million structures and that makes me happy

Being on the (probably) #3 team to make it to 1 billion is also cool... /me thinks
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Good News

Hi guys!

Although I am the IT Director for the company I work for, I report to a CIO that is shared between us and a sister company.

By chance, the other day, she happened to notice my DF client running and commented on the designs created by the DF client in the console (There are benefits to it being visible sometimes. . I explained what it did, how long I've been playing with different DC projects, etc. I also told her I was interested in rolling it onto more workstations, with her approval, of course ....

She basically said she was cool with it, but that she wanted me to explain what I was doing to each of the users where I install it, so they knew that it was there, even if it was "invisible", so it wasn't something "sneaky"...

Believe it or not, I actually have a few people who work for me in the IS group I run that aren't big fans of the client. They either don't "get it", or just think it doesn't belong on production machines. What I think I'm going to do is put it on some desktops, but keep it off the servers as a compromise.... Actually, I can't argue with the logic here.... Since the desktops are mostly P4-1.5 boxes, and the servers are mostly 400 - 500Mhz, this is no major loss...

Anyway, I installed the client on 3 additional machines last night, and spoke with those users this morning... After getting over the "this is a joke, right?" response (I'm kind of a kidder at times....) , they seemed to think it was a pretty cool idea. I sent them to the Intel.Com/Cure site, which seemed to add to the legitimacy...

So the short story: Over the next few weeks I'll probably be adding more Dell P4-1.5gig boxes to what's running already, but I'm going to take it slow as to not upset anyone while this is all in the "proving" stage..... How much this will raise produciont, I don't know at this point, but I'll add all I can...

MashRinx (Kevin)

Use the right tool for the right job!

Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It Tax Bracket's Avatar

Nice one matey. Result!

this new protein is very fast, its a good idea to throw as much as possible at a fast protein since its easier for others to catch up during fast ones, as opposed to the slooooow ones

since howard says he fixed his server, i'll try bringing a few boxen back, i have to come into work on friday anyway, so i'll be able to monitor them
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Heya MashRinx!

I've noticed you sneaking up the ranks lately. It's good to have you here!

Nice to hear the great news MashRinx!

Looks like it's time for everyone to throw more coals on the fire

Remember to give me a wave as you zip past

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12