Thread: Wii... this is fun!

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries

Wii... this is fun!

The wifey bought me a late Birthday present today... a Nintendo Wii!

The family and I just played for almost 4 hours tonight and it is fun, fun, FUN.

I can definitely see why some people have said they have lost weight... you really get a work out playing tennis and boxing.

Now I must go rest, my back feels like someone twisted in a pretzel.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Yeah I've had loads of fun with mine and even got the gf and my mother involved.

I've put about 25 hours into Zelda and probably about the same into Wii Sports. Pro status was pretty easy to reach in bowling, I'm nearly there for tennis and baseball now. I spent ages working on a high score (+gold) in the bowling power throws training mode!

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    The family likes Bowling and Tennis the best soo far. I tried the "Health" program and it says I'm 55 Wii years old. I'm only 37 damnit!!!

Think I'm going to pick up Zelda today and surprise the kidos.

Fun, fun, FUN!!!
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

My cousin just recently got one so I was able to try out Bowling and Tennis. It sure was fun. I think I might have to convince my wife that we should get one for "health" reasons.

My best is 22 on the age thing (my exact age! ) and I just turned pro in baseball.

I've recently been working on the training mode, trying to get gold in each. I finally beat my best on power throws, now its 653!

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    I'm typing on the Wii right now. Pretty cool.

Really been into boxing and baseball the past few. Way too much fun!
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Not so good if you`re not able to move someof the time.
    Anyway, damage bills from the grandaughter, son and grandsons are starting to mount up after them getting too excited. The 2 big screens in here are too vulnerable to things being thrown at them when frustration, anger and sometimes jubilation sets in so I`ve banned the wife and daughter sa well.
    Might have to lock it away
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Yeah I seen the Pictures in the SUN one day when they showed the "damage" they had done.. I wanna know how the freaking heck they managed to IMBED a controller in the casing of that TV..
    I mean broken wrists, windows, TVs etc... oh yeah the wrist straps might not be stong enough - OPHS!
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Well, the wife fell over a coffee table and smashed a few other things, the grandaughter has a cast on her wrist after throwing her arms up, smashing the lampshade above with the controller as it went flying and the controller then went smacking into the screen of the big tv while she jumped so fast out of the way of the flying glass she smacked off the stone and marble fireplace (those marble shelves stick out just right )and cracked her wrist..... and that was only one weekend. Man, she might be a skinny 9 year old but she can jump like an antelope when she wants to and she`s what the quacks call a "high energy" kid......daresn`t give her any such as coke or other caffeine stuff.
    I`m beginning to wonder what the insurance people are thinking about this cos several people that have them have stopped the kids using them for some reason or other and the daughters a red head so we don`t let her anywhere near electronics, hard or sharp objects anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo
    I mean broken wrists, windows, TVs etc... oh yeah the wrist straps might not be stong enough - OPHS!
    Nintendo are giving out free replacement wrist straps which are supposedly stronger than the standard ones.

To be honest, I don't blame the wrist straps. I think the problem here is that people are letting go of the Wiimote, though a stronger wrist strap could have helped reduce the damage. Seriously, just wipe your hands if they are sweaty and don't get so overexcited. I saw a video clip of someone smashing their Wiimote against the wall when they did a tennis serve. They were serving with all the power that you would on the court! I usually play with wrist-flicking motions rather than full arcing, not just because it is safer but I find it more effective for some things.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Agreed alpha. While it's fun to do the full serve routine, wrist flicks are way, WAY more effective. I'm up to ~1700 pts in Tennis and while I started off "over playing", I'm now down to way less wild movement.

And man, I hope you are just joking around Shish because that is all pretty crazy.

We haven't had a single problem with damage, except maybe a pulled muscle or two.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Nope, that was deadly serious.
    Admittedly, people should use some restraint in use but you need to educate them that they`re not actually doing the real thing, especially kids (or wives oooowwwouch ), who tend to get excitable and immersed in what may not be so real to the rest of us.
    We have got a proper security strap on the remote now but it is still easy to bash it and your hand off a wall or close object if you`re not careful. Which, face it, most kids and some non grown up big kids who should know better, will do in a lounge or room without too much space.
    Moral is, don`t even let the big kids (and wives) go wild if they`re not in a good space with soft floors to land on. My wife, by the way, was doing the golf game and trying to get a longer drive than her diminutive frame can manage in real life. She will also, no doubt, start practising her backhand on me if she reads this so I`ve hidden the tennis game as well

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries

Ah yes... wifey's.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Hey, what's the best game for someone who wishes he still had Dungeons and Dragons buddies? Remember, this is a Nintendo Wii thread when you answer. I'm looking for something that has a character or group you build up. If the characters can be made from scratch, that's even better. Swordfighting would be especially cool.

I've seen video of archery in the Zelda game, I'm thinking that might be the one to buy, but I'd love recommendations. Even second-hand recommendations are okay, assuming you have good reason to trust the person who made the recommendation. (I've heard of people who get paid to plant false good reviews, so that items get more popular)

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Zelda: Twilight Princess. It doesn't have a group dynamic, but if you enjoy the Zelda-style of gaming, it's pretty fantastic. A bit of quick interweb research wasn't too helpful either.

The Wii is a bit short of the dungeon-crawling group-RPG sadly. If SquareEnix would hurry up and release a Final Fantasy game for the wii, I'd be much happier.

jasong, there aren't really any/many games like that on the Wii. However, Dragon Quest Swords might interest you. Really, any other current generation console (including handhelds) will pretty much have what you're looking for.

paleseptember, I agree. However, Square Enix recently released Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King for the Wii via the WiiWare service, but it is not like a traditional Final Fantasy game. I might've purchased it if it didn't work out to be so damn expensive in this country (1500 Wii Points = £10.50 = 19.53 USD).

You've heaps of options on a handheld, I agree. If you go for a DS or a PSP, you'll be well-served for traditional RPGs.

alpha: Yeah, I've been a bit wary of My Life as a King. Looks far more like a strategy/city-builder sort of thing, sort of sim city, civilisation, age of empires sort of thing.

And the wii points exchange rate is ridiculous. It's currently AUS$ 1.50 for a 100points, which given the strength of the aussie dollar at the moment is crazy.

At least you get a slight discount when you buy online (70p versus 75p) (according to wikipedia).

*shrug*

Blog Entries
    We love the Wii. And yes, I do get some daily exercise on it. We just got Wii fit, and when I can walk again, I'll tell you all about it.

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    We love the Wii. And yes, I do get some daily exercise on it. We just got Wii fit, and when I can walk again, I'll tell you all about it.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have Boom Blox and the Sports one, and I played it for 4 hours on the first day.

I have the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game, haven't unwrapped it yet, though. I want to make sure I have 3-4 hours of free time the first time I stick it in, since these types of games tend to be addictive to me.

I read about a SimCity-type game for the Wii, the reviewer thought the characters were a little too cartooney. Not sure whether I want that game or not.

It seems that all of the role-playing/adventure games that I'm interested in are in the category of not-yet-released. I'm guessing they've only recently decided to focus on the types of games I like. No biggie, since they refuse to let the stores change the prices. If a Wii costs $250, and it's locked in, I might as well buy the thing now.